WPA or WEP?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by simongrahamuk, Sep 16, 2006.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Ok, silly question that I should know the answer to, but just couldn't think of it at all when I was asked this earlier.

What are the differences between WEP and WPA?

I could go googling for the answer, but to be honest, I can't be bothered! :dry

2. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Maybe this

Jack

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Nice link above jackd :D

For a short side by side comparison, click here.

Bascially WPA is the next "version" of WEP, it plugs the security loopholes (and enhances the security) that were there in WEP. A bridge-gap until 802.11i takes off.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

802.11i cant wait till that! :)

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I've answered this over on TU. WEP was the original broken 'encryption', and WPA is the newer less broken one.

Harry (the cynical)

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Nicely put Harry :twisted:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. GmanUK

GmanUK Byte Poster

In laymans terms WEP is what it says on the tin..Wired Equivalent Privacy...so in essence what it is saying is that its not really security! Its just the equivalent to using Cat5, and just as easy to break! WEP was never originally created for use in the wide consumer market, but the big tech companies jumped on the band wagon and used it as a selling point....yeah right!!

WPA (WiFi Protected Access) at the moment is the better bet as it does not reuse any data packets (IV's) unlike WEP. The only issue I have found is that using WPA(2) can really slow down wireless data transfer rates as it encrypts and then decrypts at either end. Hopefully this has been looked at with .11i :rolleyes:

Certifications: CompTIA N+, Server+, CCSN, ITILv3 (f)
    WIP: MCITP Security
  8. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

If WPA is used as WPA2-PSK with AES encryption rather than WPA-PSK with TKIP it is a little more secure. That is actually what I have been reading as the preferred stop gap until something bettere than WPA comes along.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  9. GmanUK

GmanUK Byte Poster

Spot on ffreeloader

If using WPA2-PSK AES then ALL devices need to support WPA2 unless your AP supports mixed mode...a good link is here, a bit long winded but a great overview of WPA2 from the Technet site :D

Certifications: CompTIA N+, Server+, CCSN, ITILv3 (f)
    WIP: MCITP Security