Would you take the job? Another interview coming soon!!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Mikeyboy, Nov 3, 2009.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

good luck mate, hope you get it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Well I hadn't had a call yesterday, so gave them a ring today, and I didn't get it :(

Will get some proper feedback on monday they said, but apparently they were very impressed with my interview and "if there were 2 positions, he would have definitely given it to me" but I would have been happy taking the job I applied for in the first place :rolleyes: so that is leaving a bit of a sour taste in my mouth at the moment...

Another interview where I was very good but just got pipped at the post... what do I have to do!!!!!!!!!! :(

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Finish first :twisted:

Seriously though, sounds like you're doing everything right and just not getting the breaks. Keep at it and good luck next time.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep... this. Had that other guy not applied for the job, you'd have likely gotten it. So look at it this way: now that he's got a job, that leaves the rest of the jobs wide open for you! :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

lol :) thanks guys that put a little smile on my face...

It always feels like such a knock back when things like this happen, my own fault for getting my hopes up so much I suppose but it's hard not to sometimes... I seem to get to an interview maybe once a month lately so hopefully another opportunity will come along shortly... probably be the new year now but I will keep on trying!

Will post up once I get the "official" feedback to let you know a bit more... perhaps it may help for next time

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  6. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Just an update on this one, bit of a turn up for the books!!

I never got any further feedback on this, so had just given up and forgotten all about it... Just now I got a call from them, offering me the original post I applied for (the maternity cover one)!! I asked what happened and apparently they had someone "in place" but they resigned for personal reasons or something... But it is still maternity cover... I told them I would let them know, as I am also hoping to hear back today from the other job I interviewed for last week...

So happy days, in a way :) it would be a drop of about 3k in pay, but of a slightly greater concern is that I would be jobless in 7 months time... but hopefully the experience I would have would help find work... Will report back later!!

7. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Grats. Sounds good :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  8. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

As said earlier, 7 months is a long time and would do wonders for you getting future jobs. As you say it isnt just going from perm to temp you are also taking a paycut. I would like to think you would go for it and just tighten a few strings as it sounds like you reallly want to get out of your old job. Hopefully, towards the end of the 7 months some one might leave and you get their position or you can start applying for these 1-3 months contracts and just piggy back off them for a while.

Anywho good luck with your decision

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  9. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

I think I would be foolish to not take this job - it would be my first REAL IT job - unfortunately I can't find any job descriptions for it now to refresh my memory as I chucked them all out... :( but who cares they have offered it to me :)

I do truly hate where I work now, I hate every minute here! So it would be a nice change and much needed experience - as you say I could try and get a few temp contracts when it expires, I would probably start applying a couple of months before it ends!

Will give the other place a call shortly, it all rests on what they say!

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you liked the description when you had it, you'd likely like it now. Go for it. Then keep your eyes open for a soft landing spot when your position nears its end. You never know... they just might keep you. It's far preferable to hire someone who is already trained on the network than to bring someone in fresh.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Not going for this job now - got another (permanent) job :D