Worth putting knowledge of/skills in Virtual PC/Virtualization software on CV?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jo74, Jun 16, 2010.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

100% agree with that but a lot of people simply don't get the opportunity to install systems like Exchange in a production environment. The next best thing is a lab where at least you get to learn how to install and set it up.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Fair enough, well explained. I feel like breaking something now...... :biggrin

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

But a lab can't and won't emulate real world experience, you're in a vanilla environment that's pretty much sterile with regards to the contents of AD and other services\servers.

I think you have to be very clear if you're putting this onto a CV that this was done in a purely home based lab environment because there really is a world of difference between a lab and production environment.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. michael78

Again I agree with that and you shouldn't ever say you have commercial experience if you don't hence putting it under a other skills section on a CV. What I'm trying to get at is commercial experience isn't the only type of experience and it shouldn't stop people putting it onto a CV as long as your honest.

Agree a home lab is a sterile environment but the fundamentals are the same like there is no difference in installing Exchange on a home lab than in a production environment or mounting/moving a database etc. What is different is that you don't have 1000's of users using it in a home lab.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Speaking as someone who has reviewed and does review resumes for employment, I disagree. But you do whatever you wish.

There is no difference between working with a nearly empty Exchange mailbox store and a populated Exchange store? Or installing Exchange into an environment with a couple of made-up users in AD versus hundreds of real ones? ahahahahhahahahahahahahh! Oh, that's classic!!! :biggrin

Keep talking, Sly. :biggrin

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. BosonMichael

I'll let you in on a little secret that we experienced senior-level techs do...

...we mirror our production environments so we can test things like this. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. michael78

I think you need to learn to read as I said that is the difference.

8. michael78

Michael the magnificent speaks again. Yeah I tend to have racks full of servers laying around at home and a few production grade SAN's as well to mirror multinational companies setup. Your just so great I wish I was as good as you Michael and with your people skills you must be a joy to work with.

If I get banned from this forum for the above then so be it as I've had about enough of your crap and the way you post replies to people. People have different opinions to you and you talk to people like crap. Have your say in a nice manner and argue your case but don't you dare try and put me down like your superior to me as your not. Believe me I'm not the kind of person to be belittled by the likes of you.

9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually he is correct and now you 'should' be more aware of this than most because you're playing with the very technology that us senior techs use, come on Slypie think about it..... that's right Virtualisation... danaaaa.

I do actually mirror the environments I work in where possible (it's especially easy if there are already mirrored UAT or Pre-Prod environments configured but if not then we create them), there are obviously times when thats not possible and thats when caveats go into Design\Implementation guides and Project Plans. To a large degree I also mirror said environments at home if and where possible. You don't need racks of servers but you do need heavy duty virtualisation servers.

In all of your Exchange work did you ever test the upgrade paths from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2007 (which you can't do directly so you need to go via 2003), most people wouldn't consider doing this in a lab environment but it is something that you're likely going to need to do with some companies (I was part of a team that had to do it last year).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  10. BosonMichael

Those thousands of users change those fundamentals, whether you'd like to think they do or not.

11. BosonMichael

I never said that you need racks of servers at home... I said that this is how people test those techologies at work... which is where you said most people don't get to install these technologies all the time because we can't mess with live, production environments. That assumption is incorrect.

I wasn't belittling you... I was letting you know how you can work with these technologies in a production environment... which you said most people can't do.

So I tried to help give you some knowledge regarding how most people can get that real-world experience. But you have to play the victim, don't you? Always being attacked, always being trodden upon... by mean ole Michael, by your employer, by the world... :rolleyes: Man up, Sly, and realize the world's not out to get you.

12. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Chill guys ! PM sent to you both

Now, back to topic ...

If you have made yourself very familiar with a subject but not used it in a business environment then say so. In the UK I don't think it would be dismissed out of hand but neither would an employer let you loose on something you've only "practiced" with. Can't do any harm though.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  13. BosonMichael

Sorry, UK, I've been on topic. This is how we get experience in a production environment.

Doesn't matter whether you're in the US or the UK... the UK isn't some third-world country, mate. And there are plenty of UK folks who are agreeing with my statement, so whether an employer is "in the UK" has nothing to do with anything.

14. michael78

Yes it does as I pointed out. I am talking about the basics using Exchange as an example. You install it the same, you dismount databases the same, all powershell commands are the same regardless of if it's a lab or production what you can't take into account is when it's in use. I'm not arguing with you again Michael full stop so leave it at that.

15. michael78

I'm embarrassed for you. I really am and will leave it at that.

16. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Bottom line, yes put it on the CV, but do it in some manner that makes it clear that it isnt commercial experience. That seems to be the bottom line from all advisors on the thread.

I would add however, that its probably only worth adding to your CV if you are putting yourself forward for a job which requires those skills. If the job doesnt require them, dont bother if you have something of higher worth to put instead.

Slypie, over several threads you have shown that BM's comments are a problem for you, so why not do what I've done with another poster, and add him to your ignore list. That way, you can just ignore anything he says forever more. Then you dont get aggravated with him, and it wont cause any problems in threads.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  17. BosonMichael

...until it doesn't work because there's user data in there... and that's what the difference is.

If you want to argue, then take it to PM. If you want to continue discussing how lab experience isn't considered experience by employers, then this is the thread to do it in, as it directly relates to the topic at hand.

:rolleyes:

18. michael78

Fergal, your a star mate didn't know you could do this. Problem solved and I could just pretend he was a figment of my imagination :biggrin

* edit now it looks like I've been arguing with myself lol

19. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

LoL, that would be me then :p

20. michael78

Simon, you don't aggravate me mate. I genuinely appreciate your advice and sometimes disagree with it but respect your opinion and do listen as you clearly have good advice and a lot of experience.

I edited my rant as I don't see any point in adding fuel to the fire. I'll let others make their own mind up about Michael and his people skills.

I'm going to take a break from here as I'm not enjoying being part of the forums at the moment. Plus I have a lot on so maybe it's for the best. Cya all around.