World Cinema...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Arroryn, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

And I don't just mean anime... but I just watched 'Spirited Away' after deciding to punt some HMV vouchers I got for my birthday on 'adventurous' DVDs.

I knew Spirited Away came highly recommended. I have also got a Romanian film called "The Death of Mr Lazarescu" which looks quite excellent, and have seen a (Mexican?) film called Amos Perros (I think that's spelled right!)

Anyway, any of you guys watch any foreign titles? Or can any of you foreign guys recommend any good films!? I'll go for any genre that isn't horror or pr0n :tongue

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If you dont like horror films then I wouldnt recommend getting the original grudge films called Ju-on the grudge in Japanese and The Ring trilogy in Japanese which is called Ringu but they are good, also one my favorite films of all time is called battle royale its excellent the sequel is good but not as good as the first and its not horror.

The ring films and grudge films seem to loose something in being translated to English.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Have you seen open seasons, over the hedge and better still hotel Rowanda:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Hmm forigen films??? cant say i've seen many.

Pity you don't like horror otherwise i'd recommend Nightwatch which is in russian. My lads watched Black Sheep, a Newzealand horror comedy film.

Otherwise i'd say any Anime in original japanese such as Akira, or the original 7 samurai. Some of the middle Jackie chan films such as Project A and Armour of God are good action films.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Spirited Away is one of my daughter's favorite films. She became interested in anime at the age of 9 which ultimately led her to live as an exchange student in Japan for a year (she left when she was 15 and came back when she was 16). She *insists* on watching it in Japanese with no English subtitles (just to frustrate the rest of us). :biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The only Amine I like is a manga one called urotsukidoji (legend of the overfiend) but for some reason they didnt release that last part in the UK and I don't speak japanese so it sucks that I don't know what happened.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I also can't say that I've seen many foreign movies, but the one that I did see was Motorcycle Diaries which was a very good movie. I would definitely recommend it.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

City of God - great film

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  9. THXbob

THXbob Bit Poster

City of the the Gods (brazil) is a belter, but one of my all time favourites is a french flick called Jean de Florette and it sequel Manon des Sources - Cracking!!!!!!!

Bob

WIP: CompTIA A+ and Network+