Working in the UK question ?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Oh no it isnt, Jul 10, 2010.

1. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Oh, right.

Just not like you, mate.

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  2. Oh no it isnt

Oh no it isnt Bit Poster

Seriously mate,
    If you bothered reading the original post I asked "would these certs be enough to get me an entry level IT job in the UK"
    Fact: Ireland has the second highest unemployment rate in the EU at the moment, many people with PHD's cant get a job as a shop assistant. Ever think that maybe its not the CV mate and just concentrate on my original question?
    You just proved my point I was making all along as just stated "We have seen dozens of people here report back saying they have got a job with NO prior IT experience" yes my point exactly as your in the UK.
    "If he can't get a job where he is, then why does he think he will get one here?"?????
    As I said there are f**k all level one support jobs advertised here at the moment as oppse to the UK and the the standard of education required for the Uk ones is resonable compared to here
    "Maybe you should have spent more time building your experience section and APPLYING, than certifying your self up to the eyeballs ;-)"????? What kind of assumption and sh*t is that statement.

"I'll be honest with you champ, how is somebody going to identify you if you remove all personal info, companies names, dates you worked there, school names and dates from your CV? and what are the chances of the person who does know you being here?" ??????? Youd be very surprised mate. There are conditions with certain areas of employment ie. Government and military that strictly outline against doing such.
    (sorry for not using correct quoation marks)
    Nuff said.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
    Certifications: MOS,ECDL,A+,NET+,MCP,MCDST,MCTS (BSc)
    WIP: MCSA RFID+
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Getting nasty now guys, chill.

:shades

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, chill. :x

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It’s still a risk that you *might* be identified. It’s up to the OP.

The whole point of this thread is about the job market in the UK.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually I think that WK is right, to be fair I have posted up censored versions of my CV and I haven't put where I worked in them at all, all I did put was the duration\dates.

To be fair you can pretty much anonymise a CV as much or as little as you want, what we need to see is content layout and wording.

As an example, here is my blanked CV, if you can tell me where I worked and when I would be impressed.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. Oh no it isnt

Oh no it isnt Bit Poster

Thank you

8. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

You worked for the British army 1986 – Jan 1997 :eek:

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Yup, but doing what apart from the RLC\RMP thing, where was I actually based? The fact that I put the Army doesn't give anyone a chance of finding out who I am because, let's face it, it's over 10 years ago and I am doing a completely different role now to when I was in the Army.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  10. Oh no it isnt

Oh no it isnt Bit Poster

Jesus I give up.......
    As sparky said "The whole point of this thread is about the job market in the UK"
    And I dont get what part of me trying to explain I worked for the government / Military and my previous occupataion and I am prohibited from displaying my personal Cv on the Internet (erasing personal details or not) you dont understand...... JESUS.......I give up. :rolleyes:

11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, of course that's an option here on the forum.

But what about searching for jobs?
    What about attending interviews?

There's some odd 'uns here, but it's good practice to stick up for yourself!!!

12. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

And it was answered on page one, the certifications you have will get you an entry level job anywhere, there we nothing we can do more to help you. Make excuses about the state of employment in Ireland all you like, I suspect too be completely blunt with you, that you're doing something wrong, if at 30 years old, you can't rack up enough eye catching experience in your CV to land a role that frankly, plenty of people 10 years your junior with ZERO experience IN ANYTHING have landed.

That is why I think your CV must be the problem. If you can't put it on the internet, then remove any trace of the job role in question, any mention of a title. We want to see your wording and layout, so remove anything you want to remove from your CV, if not, then go on applying for jobs as you currently do. The bold in the top paragraph answers your initial post but it isn't going to help a flawed CV or a bad interview technique. Which is what I have been trying to drill into you. How about you help your self by removing everything you NEED to remove and tell us exactly how interviews have gone etc.

In short, I think you are not highlighting your years of work experience properly for the roles you are applying.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  13. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

No mate, I understand that this 'thread' is about the job market in the UK, what you're failing to understand is that we 'were' trying to help to see if whether you needed any further help with your cv. I would be a little concerned tho, if you aren't allowed to share the data on your CV then how on earth do you expect it to remain 'private' when you are going to be sending it to god knows who? You don't know who or what will happen with your personal data when it get's to the recruitment agencies.

I really don't give a flying fig about you or your CV because at the end of the day you're not willing to listen to some friendly advice from people here who are offering it. You're struggling to find work over in Ireland, whether thats down to the lack of work (let's be honest here, there are always going to be first line jobs everywhere, yes, even in Dublin) or because of something on your CV but if you think you stand a better chance over here in the UK then by all means come over.

14. Oh no it isnt

Oh no it isnt Bit Poster

15. Oh no it isnt

Oh no it isnt Bit Poster

Please show me where im not willing to listen. Im all ears to any advice mate.
    Just read through the tread. I have got slated out of it because I wouldnt post a my Cv on a forum which I am not allowed to do and could face serious consequences. Posting to a forum which is publicly displayed for an indefinate period of time and globally publicly accessably as opose to sending to an employer for a line of employment are two different things and outlined as such. :rolleyes:. Thats all....seriously have a think about....this is all because I didnt post my cv nothing else.

I just asked "Would the certs I currently have in IT get me a job in the UK"...thats what I wanted to know. Please read the tread carefully before harpin on and accusing me of this and that .
    Im tired of this nonsense.... Please read the tread
    Good luck.

16. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Refer above champ. In the bold, your initial post is answered in one easily digestible sentence. So, how are you going to help your self from here then? why not stop harping on about how you can't share your information and start telling us how your interviews have gone, why you have been rejected previously? what previous experience you have if any?

Or would you prefer us to tell you what you want to hear and that is "yes, the UK will solve all your problems". I think we have gone above and beyond personally, not only did we answer your initial question, we then offered you advice on what is probably the real cause of your problem. (and no, it isn't some nonsense about how there is not one single job in Ireland)

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  17. Oh no it isnt

Oh no it isnt Bit Poster

Exactly my point mate.
    UK IT jobs...... Can you show me one person over here at the present time as you say 10 years my junior with no work experience that has landed a job at present.
    This is what im trying to drill into you.... its easier to get level one in the UK anytime but especially at present compared to here. Just compare a few job sites and you'll see what I mean.
    Theres nothing wrong with my Cv mate.
    I have a B.S in Physics and a decent job at the moment but im fairly sick of it.
    Im looking to get into the IT industry so I was looking for the best place to find a level one role.
    So with the IT certs I have I was wondering would they get me in the door as I have no previous It experience.

18. Oh no it isnt

Oh no it isnt Bit Poster

ROTFL ....
    You really are something...
    If you had of stopped questioning for it and about it and stating things like "Guess you've never heard of simply removing any personal info from it like the dozens of other people that have". I kept having to explain why I cant post it. This is getting silly now mate.

19. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Kay.

Lemme break this thread down.

OP says he isn't getting entry-level jobs in Ireland, wants to get advice about getting entry-level jobs in UK.

Numerous replies, most along the lines of 'entry-level market in the UK is sh1t as well, why bother coming here' and 'your CV might need a bit of work if you aren't even getting interviews, chuck it up here and we'll take a look'

Replies from OP to the effect that, for some bizarre reason, known only to himself, he can't post his CV in case someone, somewhere, at random, comes across it and somehow identifies him from it despite him having already removed all identifying traces from it

People offering to help (including at least one doing it in a very uncharateristically (for him) blunt and sarcastic manner) get the arris because he won't listen to advice

...cue thirty odd posts back and forth with OP and respondents attempting to secure points. That about sum it up?

Here is the skinny:

IT is bloody difficult to get into in any country in the world. It's this way for many reasons - chiefly that it is a cool job, a lot of people like fannying about with computers, and a damn sight more mugs think that it's the road to unknown riches because Anyone Can Become The Next Bill Gates. You will be no better off in the UK than you are in Ireland. If you aren't getting interviews over there, what makes you think you will get them here? Your CV is clearly the issue here. If you don't want to post it online for whatever reason (which, incidentally, I would have no qualms about doing after removing personally identifying information, despite having worked for two extremely sensitive previous employers - both with access to the highest level of security clearance in the UK) - then take it into a CV agency. Let them look it over and tell you what the problems are with it. Their entire reason for existence is to get a CV ready for purpose. If you don't believe us, believe them.

Oh, and PS - Ireland's overall unemployment rate might be bad - but I have cousins in Galicia - where the real unemployment rate (i.e. not the official one announced in statistics) currently runs at somewhere between 25% and 35%. Two of them work in IT - both have started in the last two years, and neither has a degree or even an entry-level qualification to their name. This illustrates that:

1: It can be done, no matter what the job market
    2: The eleven months one of them spent over here looking for - and failing to get - IT work was pointless (despite speaking almost native English and getting about twenty interviews)
    3: Their CVs are better than yours

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  20. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

rep again to Zeb for not sprouting out some **** and telling the way it is.

OP trust me you have been given good advice and Zebs statement confirms this, he knows what he is on about so listen to the advice and make the change.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?