Working in IT

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Sparky, Nov 15, 2006.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Ok i think this what the network lads said, but alot of what they were saying went over my head because I am not studing N+.
    The server sends out packets to every network point connection to see if it's connected. Even though a network cable is plugged into a point and nothing is connected to the other end. The server can still see this, it will send out packets.

However, if you then plug the other end of the network cable into another point, bearing in mind network cables are 1 metre to 6 metre long and can be plugged into the otherside of the room. Then the server see's two connections, it sends out the packets to different points but the same cable, then there's a conflict the server or network thinks being attack and shuts down

The reason why this happen, was there used to be a computer attached to the cable, when the PC and furniture was moved, they forgot to take the network cable with them. Leaving it on the floor. Most people would of rang IT or put the cable in a draw. This guy decides to plug both ends into the wall (network points) the whole network goes down.

Three hours of people ringing in saying they can't do their work and he does nothing, but we know it's him because it's his new office:rolleyes:

What can you do?:blink :dry

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

So in other words - everyone:biggrin :twisted:

3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

True, you have good point there, but it is so difficult to get information out of people when they are rude agressive or just unhelpful.
    Rude user example:- I ordered a new PC ages ago, where is it. ages ago means two weeks ago

Response:- IT does not buy PC's for departments, we lend them to departments while the new one is on order. To get a new one the user has to place a order with their line manager who then looks to see if there is sufficient money in the budget, they contact IT who order the PC. Have you got a order number sir?

Their response:- that's bloody stupid, no I don't have a order number, no one told me about this procedure.

IT response it is on the internal website under IT department and the help desk log show's you were told on this date.

User, grunts and say's nothing, no apology nothing!:rolleyes:

Aggressive User

It is so slow, the computers take ages to start in the morning, why does it take so long for you guys to do something.

IT responsive because there are over 4000 users, 2600 PC's and printer's and only 8 engineer's, 1 engineer off sick the other on holiday so infact there's on 6 of us to service 4000 users.

2% of the NHS budget get's spent on IT, 0% on new staff and training 1% on equipment and the other 1% goes to the big cheeses:blink

Oh they say, you need more staff, I didn't realise IT was that small!?:dry

Unhelpful User

My computer is not working!

IT response - could you define what's not working?

User no I can't that's your job, it doesn't work, I can't do my work , I need someone now!!!

IT response can you read out the number on your PC, it's a white sticker with a four digit number usaually on the fron of the box next to the power button.

The user no I can't, it's on the floor under the table.

IT response can you give me the location, office number.

User :- No my door doesn't have a number, I am in the Xray department.

When I finally track them down I find out it's not the computer that's not working it's the fax machine:ohmy It does not fix fax machines there's another depatment for that. When I look at the fax machine I notice the paper is jammed and on the side of the fax is a large label showing helpline and company name for fax problems:rolleyes: :x

4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Well done Cockles, you got there in the end!:biggrin

There's also Pingers a hand held device used for network points to see if they have been patched to the hubs/networks.

But you have to becareful not to shout out in the office "Has anyone seen the Pinger"

some people might think you are calling them a Minger:biggrin :)

5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

wow I am so enjoying this...the one I have is IT related but not with my work...its actually from flatmate and this convo took place today on MSN...

flatmate says: Hey just wondered what this thing is on top of my modem

Waliu M. says: wot? what does it look like?

flatmate says: its got a green light flashing i havent noticed it before now, its it somethig to do with the mouse n keyboard?

Waliu M. says: lol...yes it is...its the receiver...lol...hehe...

flatmate says: ok then just so i know cause i wasnt sure...

Waliu M. says: and ur modem is on the floor...its on top of your PC madam...lol...

flatmate says: no its not its on top of the modem

flatmate says: flashing green...

Waliu M. says: hmmm...am sure it was on the PC last nite...unless u moved it...is it black?

flatmate says: yes its black its on top of the grey case, isnt that the modem? and no it was there this morning i havent moved it!

Waliu M. says: the big grey box with the lights inside is the PC...

Waliu M. says: the little grey box sitting on the floor which is next to the beige coloured modem is the router...

Waliu M. says: and if u havent moved it...then its on the PC...

Waliu M. says: cos thats exactly where I left it last nite...

flatmate says: i though you had a modem and a monitor and the whole thing is the pc put together, isnt the grey bit called a modem...

Waliu M. says: eh? which grey bit?

flatmate says: i thought the big case with all the bits in to run the computer was the modem, my dad thought that too...

flatmate says: i know i have an internet modem too

Waliu M. says: no...that is the PC...u saw me put it 2gether like I did mine..the big gray case sitting next to you is the PC...the modem is the one given to u by Telewest and the router is the small gray box sitting next to the modem which allows us both to use the internet...haha...man I am laughing now...

flatmate says: hmmmm ok but i thought when i was putting my first pc together my computer it was described as the modem even before i had the internet, and everyone calls a pc a computer anyway so it dont make sense, but anyway its not important, all i wanted to know was what the green flashing light was

Waliu M. says: hehe...bless ya...no modem connects you to the internet whether u can see the modem or if its in the PC...and the PC is the personal computer...hence PC...so the big case is the PC...

flatmate says: ok

Please think what you want from that convo...but this girl has been using a PC for about 3yrs now...she knows what an "internet" modem is...but clearly not sure about what a PC is...lol...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Also, the other thing I love about being in IT is you can get stuff for free...I have asked for a 25m network cable which would have cost me about £25 from Maplins...how mint is that? :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  7. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

I did manage to get myself a Lynksys router and wireless kit from Maplin then claim all the money back from Cable and Wireless and they sold me wireless broadband despite not doing it, then I told them to stuff the contract, so I got all that for free, along with shiteloads of cabling and their own router which they never collected.

Sometimes, sales staff who do not have clue what they are talking about are very handy creatures

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  8. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Ok Cockles, while working in IT have you ever been asked what a Token Ring is?8)

9. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

its a type of network topology isn't it?

anyway, working in IT is just bad ass! im soo loving, i first thought, yes, free cat5 cable, meter here 2 meters there, lovely, then i said i needed like 10 meters, and they gave me a roll, probably like 500 meters worth! cat5 for life baby! and then you get all the free (cheaper) hardware, keyboards, mouse, usb converters etc... just so sweet!

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

LOL just remember 'He who dies with most toys wins'.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

If that's the case then it's going to take me 30 years to catch up to Harry and Phoenix.:cry:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  12. Mr.Cheeks

Mate - i getting 5 or 6 old PDAs, Toshiba e740 ones, mint condition, mains charger, cradle... the only problem is the battery dot hold charge, with all the other accessories, im sure ebay would be happy.

unless of course, people know of a fix?

13. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Hah, sorry, just spotted this, fnar fnar!!!!!

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  14. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

<giggle> I have rather run out of ideas for toys to buy that are interesting as well as being toys......

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  15. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

I don't often get serious in the middle of a humor-themed thread, but I'm a bit surprised about the 'liberties' being taken by working in IT. Not the outdated hardware rolling out the backdoor, that's debateable, since it's meant for the scrapheap. However, you might want to review the papers you signed when you were hired, since this *may* be a direct violation. I understand the 'only I can find value in this junk', and eventually the visit to flEbay, but think twice before you act. Think about the investment of your employer, and your future, before acting on some of these impulses. Accountability, honesty and responsibility are needed by all employers, and there's precious little around these days. The attitude that you'll scrape anything you can from an employer (because they don't value me) is very poor judgement -- sure, some employers are idiots, but that doesn't mean a breakdown of ethics in defense. There's many eyes perusing these threads, and I'm concerned of the standard some of the younger IT (or not yet in) people will adopt.

Sorry, folks, I really didn't mean this to be a thread-killer, but I've had several employees that often stole from the company -- mostly because they felt entitlement. Regardless, this was something I tried very hard to counteract by making sure my employees had everything they required to do the job. If we were junking something, I'd let my guys know, and then it's a free-for-all. However, that was my decision, not theirs. Don't misunderstand me, I like the perks of any business I've been in too, but I also found myself thinking twice about my actions. I would just ask that you think before you act.

Lastly -- it's funny to joke about having the most toys. I, myself, have quite a number of them -- moreso than I deserve, probably, or could use. However, don't stake your claim in life by the crap you acquire, because you can't take it with you.

ps -- if I've offended anyone in this, that's clearly *not* my intent. I appreciate everyone on this forum, and thought a clarification was in order. Forgive me if I'm misguided :oops:

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  16. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I don’t think anyone has just taken the IT equipment they are referring to. In most cases its too much hassle to throw out (due to environmental laws) IT equipment so it ends up in a home lab! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I assumed that as well. I won an old Cisco 2950 switch from my company that would otherwise have been thrown out.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  18. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Absolutely right - never take advantage of your employer, always treat them fairly and don't purloin stuff that hasn't been given to you. Treat them as you expect them to treat you.

When I left my last company, they bought me a new computer system inc monitor and professional quality a3 printer as a leaving present. They can be very generous at times but if they find out you have been nicking stuff behind their back, you will be out on your ear before you can say mrobinson. :dry

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  19. Mr.Cheeks

ok, anything i have that i take home belongs to the company, however, with the case of the PDAs, those will be disposed off via another company, so basically, that was the reason they had gave them to me. the link of the toshiba sites shows that those PDAs have been discontinued and the problem with the batteries aswell.

with regards to the roll of CAT5 cables, before i leave i'll return them back to them, seriously what do i need soooo much cable for? skipping??

TBH, in my first ever job in 2001, they came me a 4 month old pc, which back in them days they paid just under a grand for it.

i will never take advantage of no one or company, and will treat each one as i would like to be treated.

or have i completed mis-understood the point?

20. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

After reading my last post, I regret my tone was more accusatory than I thought . My intention really wasn't to 'call' anyone out -- it was merely my stream-of-conscience aired out. Again, if my ramblings were offensive, or even off-base, then I sincerely apologise. I see too much wrongful entitlement, lack of accountability and respect, and self-gratification without boundary in today's world, and sometimes it gets the better of me. Carry on, lurk mode enabled :oops:

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE