Working full-time and studying part-time to get a degree

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by TechBoy, Dec 3, 2011.

1. TechBoy

TechBoy Bit Poster

Hi All,
    Just wanted to find out if anyone is in the same boat as me. I studied at university for couple of years but got a full-time job as a ict technician with local council. I have been studying part-time for professional certifications but also been doing my degree part-time as well. I wanted to find out if studying part-time, should i be getting taxed or is there a tex relief for being a part-time student. I am currently earning £20k.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

P.S am in scotland, just in case different rules apply here.

cheers,

TB

Certifications: Comptia A+ (2009), MCDST
    WIP: Comptia Network+, MCAS
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The answer is yes, you have to pay tax and NI (if you earn over a certain amount).

See here.

Normally most "benefits" (I use that term lightly) that apply to students are normally only applicable to full-time students (eg on further/higher education courses that has a minimum of 16 hours of classes per week).

I used to study part-time and work full time in order to gain my degree (but that was years ago, I graduated in 2003) and will again start up next year for my post-grad studies. My advice is to contact your local tax office for more up to date information.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security