Working from home

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zxspectrum, Jul 1, 2021.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

So looks like this is coming to an end in our workplace, which is a bit of a bummer if you ask me. There has been no mention of carrying on WFH or any sort of flexible approach, ie, 3 days in and 2 days WFH and vice versa, but I suppose thats the way it goes.

I have noticed that I get more done at home and I have everything here that I need, it will be interesting to see how this progresses. What has everyone else been told, are there any flexible options for yourselves?

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Morning Ed,

Personally, I LOVE WFH.
    There has been talk of flexi days (3 in 2 from home or vice versa) which isnt too bad, but for me, I would rather stay at home.
    I certainly get more done at home. Its the freedom I love.

Finish work at 17:30, go out for a run for an hour. Home, dinner, shower and catchup on emails etc. Our Desktop Engineer in Sydney has just left and we have a new starter next week so on Sunday, Im doing a Bluejeans call at 23:00. Not something Id be doing if I was going into the office on Monday.

3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Over 20 years in workforce, horrible commutes, crappy offices, miss none of it, and the irony is most those 20 years I could been working from home if companies allowed it.

I will work remote until retirement now.

Jaron78 likes this.
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I've worked doing both, and in my current role our offices don't open until September, but I'm back on a customers site on Monday. The first time in nearly two years so I can't wait to get back on the road. I've also got loads of customers that I've not met yet. I think a hybrid of both is good, it all depends on your role doesn't it. I am in pre sales so like to meet people

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

For me I work 4 days in the office and 1 WFH.

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Before lockdown I was working at home for all the out of hours work I was doing – network upgrades etc. Now I’m working home fulltime I have a much better setup (dual monitors, IP phone etc.) so my desk is the same as what I had at the office.

Working at home works for me – no need to sit in traffic each morning and not as many distractions. The other tech guys are using MS Teams which has worked well when someone needs technical assistance as the helpdesk is no longer all in the same office.

Some of the presales work has been much improved as its easier to get a meeting setup through teams and also at the last minute if needed.

Going forward it will more than likely be hybrid working for me – will be back in the office for some days and will try and travel at different times to avoid traffic which is a complete waste of time.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

I never want to work from an office again. There was talk of a hybrid approach - 50/50 at our place, but they've got rid of 3/4 of the office space and it was quite tight before that. So it's looking more like 1 day a month in the office for meetings.