Working for a Charity

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Chopperchand, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Chopperchand

Chopperchand Nibble Poster

Hi,

I am currently working in IT (1st line), but a person I work with has got me a possible role in a Charity (She knows I Techincal Manager there). The role seems interesting 1st/2nd line server/windows support, All hardware/software, PABX support and I would also get a pay rise from what I currently get. There are some aspects that a outsource.

Has anyone worked for a Charity in a similar role, What are the pressures / job security like? any help would be welcomed.

Is it similar to working for a goverment department as I have worked for them before?

This would be a move to up

Thanks

WIP: MCSA Sql Server 2012
  2. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I’ve worked for a non-profit organization, but never a charity organization. I’m guessing here, but I’d say a government office would have money to spend on infrastructure, where as a charity is probably more cost conscious.

Saying that, working at a charity might look good on the resume. It may come across that you were able to get more done with less - if you know what I mean :idea:

3. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Depends on the type of charity really. Although organisations can fall under the heading "charity" in terms of funding for IT it can mean very different things. What kind of charity is it for? Are they not for profit? A social venture? it all makes a big difference.

The "charity" I work for is a sort of a social enterprise. All the money we make goes back in to the community we support but we make a lot of money so there is a very large budget for our dept. Not all charity work implies tight purse strings.

Do some research on the organisation. See what they do with the money they make and more importantly where they make that money. This will tell you the areas of the organisation they are likely to invest in. Hopefully IT:biggrin

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417