Working abroad - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Apexes, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I've been offered a 3 month assignment working in Germany - in Berlin specifically, merging two of our offices together and initially helping out on support.

All expenses paid, accomodation, travel, food, drink etc etc.

I'm dead chuffed i've been asked to go, but am also crapping myself in terms of being over there, pretty much on my own not knowing anybody for 3 months, and not really knowing alot of the german language.

Has anybody else been abroad to a different country on work business, if so how did you find it?

If i accept it i'll fly out in 2 weeks :eek:

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

That sounds awesome, im all for life experiences.

I guess alot of it comes down to whats holding you back from going? Im 24 as well so I can imagine how you feel, i'd be nervous about going to another country to work for the first time, not knowing anyone etc but im sure you'll meet some guys/girls out there and maybe even pick up a little German along the way!

Im sure someone will be along in a moment to enlighten us on what it may be like. :batman

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I've got no ties, got rid of the missus last year so she's out of the picture.

I moved back into my folks when we split, so i've got no rent to pay (:mrgreen:) I like the sound of it, but i've never done anything like that before, especially on my own! lol.

I've got to make a decision by monday, so have got the weekend to mull it over - also a good oppurtunity for me to save up my pay as i won't be spending anything over there.

4. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

It will be great experience and if you dont except it you may regret it plus it is only 3 months.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  5. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I say go for it, I'm sure Bri and the others will agree with me. Go for it, get drunk, have a good time. Dare I say it, get online, get onto the internet and find people to meet up with over there because it sure beats prowling nightclubs and bars alone. One thing to remember is this, unlike the movies, there are no sexy women, single, alone hanging around the hotel bar who will ease their way over to you haha.

Go for it mate.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I'm sure there will be enough English speaking employees over there who will make the effort to make you feel welcome. I don't think your work is going to be daft enough to drop you in the middle of Berlin without somebody who speaks good English to help you find your feet.
    You'll find a lot of Germans who want to practice their English, and probably a swathe of "traditional" Irish pubs where ex-pats hang out. They seem to have these in every other city in the world.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Having lived and worked abroad I can only echo what everyone else says.

Go for it, you will be surprised at the size of the ex-pay community over there, it's a major hub remember, it would be different if it were in somewhere we haven't heard of but Berlin??

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain from it.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Young and free sounds like a blast to me, I think a good amount of people in that sort of area are at least a little bi-lingual, been to france once a few years ago despite not know the language I managed to get by on the little I remebered from school, hand gestures and the french speaking english when they realised I was a dumb brit.

Do it now whilst you dont have a family or other life ties to worry about!

Could always use skype to phone home if you wanted!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
    Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  9. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

Go for it, most Germans have a very good grasp of English, if they can't understand you, just speak slower and shout louder :biggrin

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  10. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

if you have no girlfriend then what are you waiting for?
    I came to UK 3,5 yrs ago, fact I came to my mate, and my girlfriend came to me 2 months later, and I could already speak English quite well. Most of Germans can speak English on quite good level, and you will find there a company quite easly if you're not an outsider type
    It is a good experience to live abroad, and you will improve your German quite well if you will try. It is quite easy to learn for English people.

Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7
  11. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for the replies guys :)

Seems like a no brainer then! so i've accepted it just now, excited already! :mrgreen:

Awaiting my director to write up the details etc, but it's going to be early february until the end of April, once i come back there'll be the oppurtunity to go back out for a further 3 months again, or if not i've been offered a role back in our uk infrastructure team. so all good! :mrgreen:

12. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Congrats.
    I'm not jealous in any way, shape or form. Honest!

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  13. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

cheers mate :)

lol i'll send everyone some lederhosen :mrgreen:

14. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

Can I come?

15. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Congratulations! Let us know how it goes out there.

I would be totally jealous if I didn't have a missus that would kill me if I accepted a similiar role :D

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Congrats mate, i'm sure you will have a ball and it will be great experience for your future career 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  17. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Congrats!

Sounds like a wicked experience. This and the boost to your CV!

Good luck!

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  18. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for the comments guys :)

It's all progressed from getting the job offer on Friday from my Director, to flying out next monday at 6pm! First day in on tuesday up until the end of April. Got a decent 1 bed apartment which is only 600m from the office, so i'll be able to walk it rather than public transport (Which by the sounds of it is sh*t hot in germany anyway!)

Can't wait! :mrgreen:

19. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

Good luck and enjoy!

20. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Keep us updating mate, we want to know all about your first week etc :) Jealous here!!!

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3