Work wants me to justify training...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Atari, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Atari

Atari Bit Poster

Hi,

So, I'm the only C# .NET developer working for a medium sized company.

At my next appraisal, my boss has asked that I bring some courses (not certifications) that I'd like to attend but for each of these, I need to justify them and the benefit each will bring to the company.

As I'm the only technical person here, any thoughts on how I should approach this?

:thinking:

2. v3xtr0n

v3xtr0n New Member

What projects are you currently involved with? Are there any projects you're not involved with but (with training) could be? Look at your workload, look at what your company's strategy is for the coming year and then think of a way you can add value to them and then enhance your skill set by finding some training courses that will teach you some things you don't know but would enable you to complete things for the company.

3. Atari

Atari Bit Poster

Well, as the only developer - I have a list of projects coming up that I need to complete.

I can't see anything in the future that I can't learn myself to be honest (via google/forums etc) but I also don't want my skills to stagnate which they already have as I've been there 10 years with no training.

4. v3xtr0n

v3xtr0n New Member

Which of your skills have stagnated and how would improving them help the company achieve its goals? When you have the answer to that, you will have the justifications you need to tell your boss.