Work Happy?

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by Mr.Cheeks, Nov 27, 2006.

?

Whats more important

1. work

11 vote(s)
    47.8%
  2. environment

14 vote(s)
    60.9%
  3. money

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

All three are considerations, but the most important is enjoying what you do. I think it's a combination of all three, with the environment largely on top.

I worked over a decade in a job that required too much anxiety, for moderate pay. Did I enjoy the job? Some parts of it were great (I used to love rebuilding differentials at the end of the day, in the spring or fall, with the bay door wide open -- after hours, when I seemed to get most of my work done), but as my experience grew, my responsibilities grew, and the pressure right along with it. Ethical issues were never a problem for myself, but now that I was managing 30+ people, it became[/i] my issue -- to which I have ZERO tolerance. In my mind, you do the right thing, or you don't do it for me, period. Unfortunately, my superior didn't think the way I did. The result? Random chest pains :ohmy

To add to this, I was blessed by a number of incredible people that I really cared for, and developed lifelong relationships with. Sadly, this had me staying 5 more years than I wanted to. My career-change to IT started in 1998 with my A+, and it still hasn't fully matured. So, the last 5 years had a very detrimental effect on my life, both in attitude and in health. Life's too short to deal with that mess.

Would I do it over again? Sure, because those relationships are very important to me. I'd certainly not follow the same path, though. Funny, the older I get, the more I despise the reliance on money and a high-paying job. Also, the more I understand that life isn't a race to the finish line, the greater I covet the people I meet and the places I go. In the end, though, it's the relationships I've forged that make me who I am -- not the type of work I do. I love to work (!), and I'm really wanting to love the work I do. As such, it's just a means to an end, and I've realized that my job (the work part) should never gain that #1 spot in my life, again.

Nobody, I repeat *nobody*, on their deathbed, ever stated that they should have worked more. However, if you enjoy what you do, and enjoy where you do it, and (most importantly) enjoy the people you do it with -- then you 'get' life. Stick with it, and enjoy!

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  2. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

The job and environment have to be right, so much of life is spent in the work place that if its a dredge going everyday its makes life seem the same way, i'm sure most of us have had to put up with some type of job that we really didn't want to be in and it can break your heart.

Money i think is important too but if you don't like the job or the environment then anyone is going to do well to stick it out in the long run........

Anyway whats the point in having lots of money if the day to day job is going to bring you down. Lifes to short.

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  3. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

I agree with what most people say. It's definately a combination of all 3.

At the moment i'm in a good role, nice environment, good training. Ok i'm only 25 but i have very high stanrdards for myself.

How am i going to get on the housing ladder? How do i save for a 20k deposit when i'm paying rent? Even if i save £400 a month from my salary it will take almost 5 years.

So i'm sure in the next few years i'll have to make a move more for the money and try and make the best of it. I have no family but when i decide to start i want to be in the best financial situation possible, and that starts with a mortgage.

I have a second job as a doorman on the weekends just for extra cash... i enjoy it but how long can i do that for???

But in a perfect world environment would win... :biggrin

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

This is a great read because it is the reason we all go out to work, something to do, get paid for and meet people.

I really can't think of anything better than getting paid for something for love doing. For me it's the environment and the work. I suppose I am quite fortunate that whilst I am married with 2 teenage children and a mortgage, my cost of living is reasonably small. Therefore money is not, for me, a driving factor, but it is still a factor. I could not be in a job if I couldn't pay the bills. I do consider myself to be lucky as I'm 42 and never been out of work.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

All 3 is equally important for me, take away one of them and I'm off looking for another job.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security