work experience

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zxspectrum, Jul 7, 2009.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hi guys, got this email today from a friend of mine

'I have had a word with my boss, as we have a big project on over the summer he has said that it would be ideal for you to help for the extra pair of hands and also it would be some good experience for you. The work will consist of helping wire and install smart boards, install opearting systems from a ghost utility and also help with other configuration'.

Well as you can expect im proper chuffed and all i have to do is pass a CRB check and im in and it also looks good on my cv.

In regards to the work can anyone suggest a book for me to purchase so i can try and get up to speed on all this as i have only the smallest bit of experience and thats through uni and what ive done at home etc. Id like to look as if i know what im on about as i want to make a good impression as there could be a job in the future

Thanks in advance

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Depends on what software the company use to deploy such images. Other configuration is more than likely client desktop stuff, so choose a MS Press book which applies to the appropriate OS (e.g. 271/272 for XP, 620/622 for Vista).

Sounds good though mate, keep us informed. :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats! I agree with Qs regarding the books.... for ghosting there are a few apps out there, can you find out from your friend what software you'll be using?

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Well done mate, look great on your CV that. Good old google will help you out a lot mate and save you some money. Sounds like they may be using Symantec Ghost to deploy XP images, we used to do that at our old place. http://ezinearticles.com/?How-To-Create-An-Image-Using-Symantec-Ghost,-Ghostcast-Server?&id=862888

**EDIT Sorry further to that get as much info off your mate as you can. What OS will you deploy, what software will you use to do it etc and Google it all. Not going to make you an expert but at least you'll know what their talking about.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Im assuming this is for a college/school/uni (hence the CRB check), my advice is that smartboard software is pretty easy to configure, if you can install other software, you should be fine, the smartboard physical install which luckily i dont do, but again if you can build a PC or have a technicians modus operandi then this shouldnt be an issue (im probably devaluing the great work our smartboard company does here greatly lol), more likely you will need to be ready to do a lot of lugging about.

The ghost install, id imagine your role will be basically turning on PCs, booting via lan and selecting a deploy option (up/down arrows then return) and leaving to run, so again nothing to be panicking about, you may even get to create some images, so all you will need to know is how to use sysprep, and also be prepared to remove any unique ids for things such as network AV, SUS, and whatever else software wise they use, but realistically all this should have been planned out and documented already.

If anything check out windows deployment services for creating images, both boot and installation wise.

Good luck and have fun

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal