Work Experience

Discussion in 'A+' started by samsdad, Apr 24, 2008.

1. samsdad

samsdad Bit Poster

Hiys guys

Im busy self studying for A+ like many others around here but to be honest im wondering if its all worth it in the end. I know i would have the satisfaction of passing it which would be great but i dont work as a technician and my reasons for learning about pc repair etc are to get myself back to work after a period of illness. The only experience i have is fixing my own and family and friends pc's. I worked for 35 years as a painter & decorator but cant go back to that job.

my problem is i will have no on the job experience even if i pass and im beginning to think my chances of finding work would still be slim.

Has anyone ever done work experience (for free) in the hope it would help you get a job eventually and if so how did you go about getting companys to take you on. I feel this would be one way of gaining valuable on the job experience and I would gladly do a couple of days a week for free if it helped in the long run.

whats you thoughts guys?

thanks

WIP: A+ and Househusband.
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The answer is clear... getting a job with the A+ and no experience is easier than getting a job with no certifications and no experience. The A+ is designed for people entering the IT field. Thus, it's perfect for you.

Although I never had to do volunteer work to get experience, several people have. If you can't find an entry-level job, that's certainly a worthwhile option to consider!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Keep in mind you’ll be looking to get into an ‘entry-level’ role where there is usually quite a bit of training and hand-holding (at least in the begining). Unlike a Sr. role where the only training is usually company policies, procedures and HR related stuff. There’s little to no technical training.

The point of the A+, in addition to the material learned, is to show familiarity with IT; ability to learn; and a want to succeed. There’s more to an entry-level exam than the material covered.

On the same note, when an inexperienced individual gets higher-end certs, an employer starts to wonder the reason and thought process. Is the applicant thinking he/she will work on core production equipment with no experience? Will the person even be satisfied doing the job applied for? What kind of money is this person expecting? Etc...

Hope this helps…

4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I just have a question. You say you can't go back to what you did before. Is that because of physical limitations?

The reason I ask is because I had to quit my former career too, and because of physical limitations. Those physical limitations really affected my ability to break into the IT field as almost all entry level positions--I'd never do call center work but there wasn't any available in my area anyway--required the ability to pack computers, monitors, crawl, stoop, bend, lift, and spend long periods of time on my feet. All of these are areas in which I now have quite limited physical abilities.

As a result it took me more than 3 years to find a job as I had to find a place where I could intern and start directly in what is usually considered to be more of a senior position than an entry level position.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. David S

David S Bit Poster

If you're willing to do a couple of days a week to gain experience why not bang a few doors, send out some CVs and let people know. Something might turn up, and in the meantime keep up the study.
    I'm also a decorator studying A+ and know how daunting it can feel when thinking of the job prospects.
    I'm self employed so my situation might be a bit easier than yours but I find a big change seems easier if you focus on the smaller steps along the way.

Best of luck.

WIP: A+
  6. samsdad

samsdad Bit Poster

Thanks for all the input here guys its much appreciated

Ive sent cv's out to a couple of local companies but as yet no replies but will keep trying. thanks

A lot of my problems are physical but i can still get around....reason i cant go back to normal job are having to climb ladders etc but i can see what your saying about bending and lifting etc and will take those points on board. I dont fancy call centre work either to be honest but if thats my only way in then so be it.

I dont mind that at all and im more than willing to learn new skills along the way.

Thanks again for all your replies and suggestions guys...much appreciated.....back to mike meyers for an hour or 2...:biggrin

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I got day and weekend contract jobs with an A+ and no experience (well, the first one was with no experience). Obviously, those wouldn't be enough to live on and I was working a non-IT "slave" day job to pay the bills, but those contract jobs *were* enough to build up my CV so that more contract work and more experience came my way. Once you get enough of that kind of experience under your belt, something more long-term will materialize.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. samsdad

samsdad Bit Poster

thanks for the input Tripwire and also thanks for a brilliant book m8, so easy to follow im sure it will be with me for years to come.

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Glad you like it. It has the virtue of being based on real-to-life tech problems I had to deal with in various jobs over the years.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Ditto to this. I used to be a chef until I broke my back and could no longer perform the physical labour that comes with most kitchen jobs. Bending, lifting, etc., are all on the list of things I'm not supposed to do. So is climbing ladders, btw, but as the only tech in the area I get to crawl on a lot of rooftops to do wireless installs anyhow. It's a living, but I come home pretty worn out some days as the job can still be fairly physical.

All I can say is thank God for LCD displays. I've carried enough bloody 20 inch tube monitors, thank you very much!

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs