WooHoo, got a bite of the cherry :)

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Carlsberg Wordsworth, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Carlsberg Wordsworth

Carlsberg Wordsworth Bit Poster

Unbeknown to me a relative had got in touch with the company who serviced the computers of her workplace and they have given me 2 weeks to go in and help and also to get a feel of IT in a commercial experience way.

The role will be some general telephone work when it's busy, building PCs and servers and loading the OS and required software etc. Also some onsite work.

Been and had a chat and a look round, chap wasn't worried that I came straight from work (where I don't wear a suit lol), got on really well and showed me some of the stuff I will be doing.

Might get something out of it if I'm lucky but most important is that EXPERIENCE onto the CV.

After 5 interviews elsewhere I am counting this as a bit of break. :biggrin

Kinda says in one way though its not what you know ( but obviously helps) it's who you know. But there again it was done without me knowing. Pity perhaps? All I know is I'm grateful and really looking forward to it.

Almost a year after passing A+ as well so don't give up hope too everyone else on that career change.

Certifications: A+ Certified
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats dude, wish you luck!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Sounds cool, well done :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Cool, glad you got your break :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Thats great! Remember to work hard, but get on with the guys too. You want to build a reputation for having a 'can-do' attitude, and being a good 'team-player'. also, being someone who 'gets on with everyone' (sounds like a report card).

Even if you get nothing now, leave on good terms, and leave a lasting impression. If they get something in future, you have an in. If not, they may recommend you to someone they know who does.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Nice one mate :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Congrats, sound advice from Fergal there! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  9. Carlsberg Wordsworth

Thanks for the congrats everyone. All advice taken on board there Fergal, though as I have this opportunity I will be doing pretty much that anyway. Much appreciated advice though thanks.

Really looking forward to it, so just keeping a watchful eye on the job front until I complete these 2 weeks.

Will let you all know how it goes.

10. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

Well done, try and forge a relationship with your direct superior, and his/her boss too.

Their next permanent hire could be you!

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, CCSA
  11. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Congrats.... and thank that relative too :)

12. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

Sounds pretty ideal dude and if nothing else a good little bit of experience.
    I think the same rules apply for any skilled job, a combination of who you know and what you know is always best. Who you know can give you the chance to prove what you know as well as what you're like as a person, and can do it far better than any CV.
    Also you're little 2 week stint is ideal for the company, test drive a potential employee with no commitment at the end of it, cant go wrong surely.

WIP: A+
  13. Carlsberg Wordsworth

I have to admit that this sort of thing seems more 'up my street' than maybe being a net admin for 200+ users say.

I think I would prefer this kind of enviroment/employment if I was honest.

*edit*

Relative already thanked sunn ;)

14. Carlsberg Wordsworth

Just a quick update after the first week has gone by.

Had an interesting week, although not had time to check the server build out that was required if there was a chance to. Couple of trips out to site, printer issues mainly, couple of virus issues that have taken time to get to the bottom of. Some re-installs and just being a fly on the wall for a short amount of the time.

Taken the telephone calls and messages but not to the point of helping the request yet. Basically because of 'finding my feet' as it were.

Have gained some remote access software experience too.

Had a quick 10 mins to fly around Server 2003, but does anyone know how I can make some use of it if it's not connected to a network?

Or is it just a case of playing around with it to see what does what etc?

Enjoyed it so far and looking forward to next week. I suspect an update to follow then as well :)

15. Carlsberg Wordsworth

Sorry for the late and last update on this. Not sure I'm able to edit the thread title.

Was told after the 2 weeks that I'd be snapped up and listen for the phone,but due to financial reasons couldn't give a solid job offer. I was happy with this and of course would get full recommendation from them.

Have had a call since from them to ask if I would be interested if an accountant meeting went according to plan, and of course I said yes.

So all going well I might end up working there.

However something interesting has happened the same week and shall be posted in another thread to which I will provide the link once done and edited this post.

Here we go

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=254018#post254018