Woah! New person!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by jaket, Mar 10, 2011.

1. jaket

jaket New Member

Hey,

Thought I would join this forum to get an idea of what cert's are deemed useful in todays market.

Currently 2nd Line support for a server support team with 2 years experience with server hardware, software, vmware, netbackup, sun storage, active directory, sharepoint, exchange.

Any ideas what I should start to look at to gain qualification's?

2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Welcome :)

MCITP: EA / SA could be a good route to go down if you're already working with servers & infrastructure. if you've got 2 years experience you'll probably be fine self studying, check out http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcitp.aspx#tab2 and look at either the enterprise administrator, or server administrator (Providing you work with 2008 r2, or will be in the future this could be a good one to go for)

Note that the exams now incorporate alot of features regarding Server 2008 R2, and the books are due to be released in the next couple of months, i'm currently waiting on them.

Also don't rule out some of the entry level certs, even though you're in an advanced role, some could be worth doing for future job applications etc :)

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :D

Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680
  4. jaket

jaket New Member

Thanks for the reply and thanks for the welcome! :)

I have hust had a quick look and it seems the MCITP : EA / SA seems like the route I should take, we are currently deploying R2 at the moment with all new server builds so it seems to be the best option.

I will have to keep an eye out for the books then, have they been released in the state's already...?

I have considered this also, don't want to be in the same job forever! By entry level you mean things like comptia? or MCTS?

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Welcome :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! :D

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  7. jaket