WMware 4.0 rejecting my windows 7 cd

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by shocksl, Dec 2, 2011.

1. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

OKay guys,

I am trying to create a new workstation (windows 7) on VMware 4.0 .

However once I have selected everything i.e CD - Win 7 ultimate etc and then disk space etc. It just goes to a blank screen and it says 'no operating system found'

What am I doing wrong? or is this even supported on VMware 4.0 ???

2. NT Executive

NT Executive Bit Poster

I dont think Vmware 4.0 supports windows 7.

I had the same thing on Vmware 5.0

I think you need Vmware workstation 7.0 or something like that, This is what I had to use to run a windows 7 VM.

Lets see what the other forum members say......

3. NT Executive

NT Executive Bit Poster

In addtion to the above, what exact WMware product do you have? It will tell you which guest OS's are supported.

4. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

It's VMware Player 4.0.

So do I need to install a new version? and where could I get it from? Does it cost? as I got the 4.0 for free.

thanks

5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Player 4 supports Windows 7, did you by any chance tell the CD to be Connected at Power On, or hit Connected when you mounted the cd?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Yeah! This is most likely what the problem is as it's quite tricky to install from CD but with a few practice it is doable. Hence, really a network share to an ISO is really the way to go as it makes the process of installing an OS go so much more smoothly.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  7. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

thanks

so hwo dod i change the settings etc?

8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Go to the properties of the VM, look at the hardware and change the settings for the CD there. You may have to tell it to use the physical drive rather than an ISO image but once done you need to connect it.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  9. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

thank you all! I'll check it!