Wish me luck

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Shinigami, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

So tomorrow and wednesday will see a Microsoft held event in Geneva called "Tech Days". A few hundred customers will come around to attend one of the several presentations taking place on new or existing products, most of the presentations being given by local Microsoft partners as we like to promote their businesses as well (noway could Microsoft take care of ALL the consulting requirements in any given market).

So anyway, I was the only dumbass from ALL of Microsoft Switzerland to volunteer as 'the expert' :haha: on Microsoft's own stand at this event (all other stands are held by our partners, they do things like provide training, or applications and other services that work in conjunction with out stuff, customers can pick up leaflets or sign up for stuff), and I chose to do this for free to boot :erm:

Rewind a month or so...

...I approached the main guy organizing these two times a year events (one in Geneva, the other near Zurich a month from now) in Switzerland with a volunteer act, and his jaw nearly hit the floor as he looked at me. He couldn't believe I was really working for MCS (Microsoft Consulting Services) as apparently all other consultants always "decline" the opportunity to do this job since there's no money in it for us. It means they'd have to man a stand for two days whilst speaking with people about all things related to our apps (Active Directory, Exchange, Lync, FIM... the ones I'll be standing in for this time around), as it's supposedly just a crazy job to do as customers tend to ask the darnest questions :erm:

I really wonder what kinda mess I got myself into this time around :p

...I'll tell you how it went once this is over... luckily tomorrow night will include a party with a chance to socialize with the customers ;)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Hope all goes well mate. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Mate, if in doubt get the pole dancers out!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. Shinigami

Sadly, not in the budget :(

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Good luck mate, i'm sure you'll have a blast!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I'm at HQ for two days at the worldwide V-TSP summit (first ever) 101 of us locked up in building 92 from 8 - 5!
    having a blast though

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. Shinigami

Building 92 as in the Microsoft Visitor Center at Redmond?

8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Yurp
    were up next to the MLC meeting with all kinds of folks from across Core IO, BP and App and Platform lol
    they are ramping up the V-TSP program quite a bit this year but we are the first run, funny seeing so many biztalk guys here (thats where the VTS program started) as you never see many Biztalk guys anywhere haha

Good week so far, except i only have $120 limit at the company store again, doh!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Good luck mate. We'll have to catch up again for a beer and you can tell me all about it. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Should be fun! good luck!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  11. Shinigami

Ah, the days came and went. Although I was there as an AD/Exchamge/FIM/Lync guy, half the time I just chatted about almost anything and whatever with customers... Could have been the WP7 phone, Xbox, Kinect, how it's like working at Microsoft, or just about cars, weather, whatever...

It was actually really casual in that sense, so all went well. And I did several hours of work on my lab as well, which was cool.

Too bad the drinks were a bit on the poor side in the evening, I didn't really want to sink into the white wine so I left early...

12. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Well done mate, even more for the CV!

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  13. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

good luck

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon