Wireless to Wireless....

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Kraven, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Hey guys,

Is it possible to join a wireless device to a wireless router?

Basically Im moving to sky broadband and they give you a wireless modem, Which is ok I guess. But I've had a modem from NTL and thats been connected to my d-link router which I love. The thing is all the machines in my room have been connected via ethernet as well as my practice network that involves my 2003 server, and I don't really want all my machines to be wireless.

EDIT: Also the wireless sky device will have to be put downstairs.

Thanks
    Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

perhaps a switch??? but not quite sure how you would connect it all up... why does the wireless have to be downstiars for?

3. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

God knows, the guys at sky said that the device has to be near the sky thing they install.

Kraven

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The Sky router is a badged Netgear. It has a built-in switch. You don't *have* to use the WiFi bit.

And because of some oddities in the setup it is better to use the Sky router than a 3'rd party one.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Ah thanks hbroomhall. As long I can hardwire it to my router thats ok.

Kraven

6. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

Hi,
    I have Sky Broadband setup in similar style. They give you a Netgear DG834G Router [http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/GWirelessRouters/DG834G.aspx] , not a modem which has 4 LAN ports included so you can disable wireless if required through the router console [Ask if you need any help].

The reason Sky advise you to place it on the main BT socket is to reduce noise margins and generally increase speed. For example my extension point upstairs got me 2mb and shaky connection, when I put it downstairs and used a new ADSL faceplate it went up to 4.5mb with no connection loss.

Saying that there is absolutely no reaoson why you cant test this out by sticking it upstairs and see what you get.

Be careful of doing this for the 1st 10 days after connection as Sky claim they train the line over that period and you could be left with a 2mb link when it could do up to 16mb depending on what package you have.

Cheers
    G

WIP: MCSA 2003
  7. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the info guys. The package doesn't arrive until the 21st so I'll see what happens. I might as well leave it down stairs.

Kraven

8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

This could be due to the equipment at the other end of the extension or the extension cabling or socket itself.
    I agree that to pinpoint a problem you need to plug it in to the master socket with no filter, but if the extension is fitted correctly it shouldn't effect it that much.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

I agree Boyce, I had a nightmare couple of weeks when migrating to Sky so not really sure what eventually did the trick. The line has steadied itself now which will be Sky capping the line after the training period, but I must say the faceplate did make some difference on the noise margin and connection speeds[http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php]

That aside if you have the router downstairs, you will either need to cable to a LAN switch upstairs [messy], put a USB wireless device in each machine [costly] or connect a wireless LAN switch to the sky router if thats possible?

Cheers
    G

WIP: MCSA 2003