Wireless system - suggestions please

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Kitkatninja, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi guys/gals,

Got a question for all of you. I'm looking at replacing our current wireless system (3Com), to a newer system and want to know what you guys are using, what problems you've had and what successes.

The things that I'd be looking at is the following:

1. AD/LDAP authentication
    2. Multiple SSID's
    3. N standard, preferable dual (both the 2.4GHz & the 5GHz)
    4. Easy to maintain (both administration and upgrading of firmware, etc)
    5. Of course centrally managed.
    6. Scalable
    7. Support QoS

I'm looking into Ruckus, and will be looking into Aruba, any others out there worth a look?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. sirkozz

sirkozz Bit Poster

You’ve mentioned the design requirements form an infrastructure point of view, but what about the STA side. You have to design a WLAN from the client side first, what kind of stations do you have or plan to have, MC’s, phones, laptops? How much bandwidth do you require for STA’s? WMM and WLAN QoS are worthless unless VLAN QoS is implemented properly.
    As to hardware vendors, check out Motorola (RFS6 or 7000’s with AP7131’s) or Cisco (4400 with 1250’s) or even Meru, SCA does work. Aruba does a great sales job, however if you ever put a good spectrum analyzer on an Aruba WLAN you’ll see why on the RF side at least the AP’s fall short. On the positive side Aruba auto-RF works unlike Cisco, haven’t had a customer willing to try Moto’s smart-RF yet but from what I hear it works. No experience with Ruckus so I can’t help you there.

Good Luck!!!

Certifications: do expired ones count???
    WIP: CWNE/CCNA