Wireless security/monitoring software?

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by quackers, Feb 26, 2007.

1. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

I've just setup my little wireless network and i'm getting very paranoid of the security side of things.

I've set wpa-psk with a random key, changed passwords etc but what id like is some monitoring software that tells me what is connected to the router. If you can see were i'm coming from?

Is this possible? I know you can access this from the router itself, i'd like something to run all the time.

And, is there anyway of reducing the signal? What sort of materials can block wireless signals?

Thanks all

Certifications: Degree, A+
    WIP: CCNA, MCDST
  2. oggler

oggler Byte Poster

I run Trend Micro security suit (which includes wifi security) on my machines and whenever there is a new machine in the vicinity, it picks it up and asks if I want to allow it access.

Now the permission is for it to connect to the machine rather than the router, but at least I know there is something out there that is trying to connect (or has connected).

Your best bet would be a packet sniffer that would identify various packets and their source from which you could eliminate the know packets and investigate the ones that you are not familiar with (from unknown sources).

hth

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+, MCSA W2k3-Security, CEH
    WIP: CWNA, CWSP, CISSP