Wireless LAN setup

Discussion in 'Networks' started by zr79, Oct 1, 2009.

1. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

Checking i have this right.

I want a laptop and PC to have wireless internet and also have a wireless LAN so they can fileshare.

So i need,
    1 x laptop
    1 x PC with wireless dongle
    1 x wireless router.

Then after both PC and laptop are connected to the internet i need to setup file sharing(Vista)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx

Is this right?

Also what speeds can i expect for wireless LAN file transfer if i can an N router, how much slower than wired transfer speed?

Certifications: A+
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Depending where you are putting the router, you could use a wired connection to either the PC or the laptop if you get one with a switch built in as most do.

After you get them both set up on the LAN, with internet, come back if you need help with file sharing but it's easy enough. There are easier to understand docs on the net than a technet one.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

Cheers for that, will do.

I don't need an access point right, an AP to me is just a repeater or wireless switch/hub, but then i have noticed a guide that states you need an access point as well as the router.

Yes i may sound like a bit of a novice with regard to networking but i do know a few things in theory believe it or not just not that much hands on experience as never get a change to get eqiupment and access points are not something that i have really looked into.

4. danielno8

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-DG834G-54Mbps-Wireless-Firewall/dp/B0000TZ8Z8

This is the sort of thing you want (this is a G version, so 54Mbps max wireless, there are n models also). It's all-in-one. ADSL modem, wireless access point, and an ethernet switch. So it connects to the internet, then shares that connection to local devices (those connected to the Wireless AP and the wired ethernet switch.

HTH

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  5. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

What you're looking for is something that has a modem, WAP and a switch/router built in to one box. I've got a switch/modem with a separate WAP plugged in to one of the ports on the switch but that's only because wireless was added later, it would've been cheaper buying an all-in-one box.
    Most of them come with easy-to-follow guides for connecting both internally and externally.
    I'd also wire up the desktop as Daniel says. It'll save you buying a wireless dongle/NIC and you'll have one connection not subject to the vagaries of wireless.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
    Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  6. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

The setup is not actually for me, but i thought i'd get both a dongle and a cat5e for them so they can see what works best....

7. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I assume you mean what works best for them rather than what works best full stop, cos a wired connection wins hands down. My main computer and my test rig are both wireless, believe me, it sucks often enough for me to hate it.(rented flat, can't run cables :cry: )
    Also, I wouldn't feel good about broadcasting my credit card details (albeit encrypted) to everyone around me, or my online bank account password come to that. I use my one wired computer for that, and big file downloads.

I'd advise buying a wireless dongle for the desktop as a last resort.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  8. danielno8

yep i hate wireless. I wouldn't ever use it for my main PC. I'd rather buy powerline adapters, they work great in my experience.

9. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

You guys are right, i think i was trying to be overly stylish and have no cables, so if i have Gb ethernet on the PC side and 802.11n on the laptop side, it will obviously downclock to 111mbs, which should in theory give me about 14 MB/sec LAN Speed... Not too shabby, maybe i will just stick to 802.11g and save a few pounds.

I suppose i should add a firewire card to the PC or thrown in a USB Link cable in case that want something a bit faster for LAN.

btw do wireless n routers tend to come with an n USB dongle, i can't imagine they do as the price of an n dongle on it's own is about £40 ad the n router is about £60...

10. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Powerline adapters are great, I use them for my main rig at home. Actually need to get another to get the server patched in.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  11. danielno8

On an 802.11n router, the wireless speed will be a THEORETICAL max of 111Mbps (or whatever it is, i though it was 125), but your actual wired connection will be dependant on the ethernet switchport speed. 802.11n only refers to the wireless speed. You may get one with a 1000Mbps ethernet switch though, obviously cost a little more. But if you are only sharing between a wireless client and a wired client, i would stick to 100Mbps as your not going to see the benefit of 1Gbps.