Wireless Internet problems

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Aardvark, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Aardvark

Aardvark Bit Poster

I've been having a few problems connecting my laptop (with Belkin Wireless G card) to my router (LinkSys WAG 54G). Sometimes it works, but usually it can't get an IP address and stops there. Anyway, after looking through Windows help I enabled UPnP network functionality in the XP firewall settings and this seems to have done the trick. However, despite there being a wireless connection and strong signal, IE will not download any pages (the usual cannot find DNS or server page appears). Unchecking the UPnP functionality now doesn't seem to solve the problem!

Does anyone know of any possible reasons why I cannot connect to the web despite a good wireless connection?
    Thanks for your help

Moved to Wireless Networking forum (AJ)

2. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

do you get an ip address, gateway, dns server, the works? do an ipconfig /all (but for your own security reasons don't post the result here) and see if you get any results.
    also, can you do a tracert to 216.193.217.209 (=certforums) and see how far you get? (again, don't post)

3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Is it windows xp service pack 2? make sure that it is, as windows wireless connectivity was greatly improved with SP2.

Can you physically plug your PC into the router and try to connect? Are you sure that your PC is setup for DHCP?

Try turning off the firewall and see if you can connect. (make sure that you turn it back on later though)

Have you checked Internet explorers security settings?

8)

4. Aardvark

Aardvark Bit Poster

OK - running tracert says connection unavailable, running ipconfig/all has the following

dhcp enabled - no
    default gateway - (blank)

and no mention of DHCP server or DNS servers (which appear when I run it on this machine which is connected to the same router)

It is SP2, I've tried with and without the firewall, IE security settings are still at Default settings.

It seems it might be a DHCP problem - how do I enable it?

Cheers guys!

5. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Have you updated the Firmware for the router? My Wireless Linksys router required a firmware upgrade before I could get it to work with my dads XDA! It also needed it for the encrpytion algorithms too! Linksys are notorious for bad firmware on their products and it isn't normally untill a couple of releases that they sort out the bugs!

Also my Wireless Linksys PC Card kept dropping the connection with the router, that is until I updated the driver for the card! All seems to be ok, but I had to disable the Windows Wireless software and let the linksys stuff take over.

Hope that helps

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  6. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Ooops u got the DHCP thing whilst i was writing the message.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  7. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

- on the desktop rightclick my network places, and hit properties,
    - select the correct network connection, rightclick, and hit properties,
    - in the list of items select internet protocol (tcp/ip), and hit properties,
    - make sure that obtain an ip address automatically, and obtain dns server address automatically are ticked.

now, it could also be that the router is not yet configured as a dhcp server. for that i can only suggest to read the manual.

8. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

WE've had this issue on our wireless network at my school. Try altering the pre-amble on the NIC to long or short and see if that help.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  9. Aardvark

Aardvark Bit Poster

d-Faktor wins the prize!
    For some reason the obtain IP and DNS address automatically buttons were not checked. Doing this has enabled DHCP and I'm online again. Thinking back, it all started to go wrong after the last Windows update. Maybe that changed some settings? Anyway, thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated.

10. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Glad you got it sorted m8 and we could help :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong