Wireless and Project Management

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by mattwest, Apr 1, 2004.

1. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Hi everyone....!

After looking at tripwire's wireless QOTD it jogged my memory that i'd quite like to get a foot in the door with wireless.

Is there a foundation, or introduction cert or qualification in wireless that anyone knows about? Something i can learn and study from a book and take an exam? (Instructor led courses are out of my budget!)

I just want to show an understanding of the concepts and some basic implementation ability.....

Any ideas?

Cheers in advance. :D

Matt

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  2. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Also i forgot to mention that i'd also like to get a project management qualification, does anyone know of any good ways to go about this?

Something that you can use to progres to more advanced levels?

The Assocation for Project Managers does a foundation qualification, but no information is available at the moment (they say Jan 2004! - its April already!!)

Thanks

Matt

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

For a vendor neutral cert in wireless, try www.cwnp.com. Their entry level cert is the Certified Wireless Network Administrator. For an entry level projects cert, try CompTIA's IT Project + cert. How's that?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Thanks for that info it really good....

I've done several CompTIA certs and i have seen the project+ mentioned before but it slipped my mind!

Also the CWNA looks very interesting with progression to the CWSP so thats good, useful to have as well.

Think i'll study for those 2 over the summer!

Thanks!

Matt

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

You're welcome. Both certs seem a bit obscure relative to the ones you see talked about in forums like this (MCSE, CCNA, A+, and such). I see you've already posted a parallel thread which is good. You may have to actually peak into other forums focused on wireless issues to get any sort of response about the CWNA.

Interestingly enough Boson, the training software company, has a number of certification forums including one for the CWNP/CWNP, but it's sparsely populated and not very informative. One place you might want to take a look at if you're interested in wireless is the forum at Wi-Fi Planet. It doesn't have as many catagory areas as many similar forum, but it's totally devoted to Wireless issues so really exposes you to a totally Wi-Fi atmosphere. I post there only occasionally.

For the IT Project+ cert, I haven't a clue. I suspect that it's not a particularly "on fire" cert but you could check Google to see if there are discussion groups focused on CompTIA certs that would include the IT Project +. I'm not encouraging you to "jump ship" here, but sometimes having more than one source of information is helpful. Good luck.

Oh, and don't forget to visit the Networking forum here for the Wireless QOTDs I've been putting together. Might be interesting for you.

6. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Thanks again for the info.

I dont have a wireless setup here at work, but it might be on the bosses minds. I basically only want to get a basic understanding first and build from there.

I think i'll buy a book and start there, checking the other forums when or if i get more into it.

I really want to move into IT management in the future so i think Project+ might be a good place to start and then i can move into a management diploma or something....

Choices! Choices!

On another point CCNA, MCSE etc are all good, but with sooooo many people, even newbies going for them, they have become very common.

I base my approach or a wide range of skills, including management and social skills, thats why i'm doing Spanish and looking at project management, anything i can to set myself apart!

(Not dissing the MCSE or Cisco stuff i've got some myself!)

2 hours til the weekend!

OH YEAH!! :D

Matt

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I will tell you that most of my job offers have come from having an A+ and my CCNA. If I had any MS certs, I'm sure that would enhance things as well. Sure, everyone and their pet snake Reggie has 'em, but they're industry standards. Plus, people make certain (usually positive) assumptions about you when you have them.

I got plenty of heck from one of my instructors when I went after my CCNA instead of an MS cert. He figured the MS certs were more marketable just because most networks out there are MS. I think it says something to start with the basics and work out from there, depending on your career goals and the needs of your employer. JMHO. :)