Wireless and Coax Cable???

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Hollib13, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Hollib13

Hollib13 New Member

Hi,
    I have recently set up wireless through virgin media. I have a cable modem, netgear router and a net gea adapter. I have been told that i shouldnt need to have the white coax cable conneced to the back of the cable modem in order to have wireless as this defeats the object. If this is true, then why is it that when i unscrew the coax cable from the cable modem i am unable to get a webpage..?
    Please help!!
    Thank You!! :)

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Whoever said that you don't need the coax cable doesn't know what he is talking about! :biggrin

The cable is needed to bring the Internet to your modem. This is passed to the router. The router then converts it into 'wireless' so your machine can pick it up.

So the only bit that is 'wireless' is in your house. All the rest needs wires.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Hollib13

Hollib13 New Member

thanks harry youve definitly made things clearer now.
    At the moment my lounge is a through lounge but will be divided into a lounge and study Therefore will the cable modem and router be able to get a signal through to the study :blink ??

4. hbroomhall

It depends on what the new partition is made of.

Usualy it is a fairly light set of materials - wooded battens and plasterboard, so there shouldn't be much problem. Even if it was a double-brick wall it would probably be OK with such a short distance.

Harry.

5. Hollib13

Hollib13 New Member

ok thats great then ...so all i will need to do is keep the modem and router in the living area, and my adapter will pick up a signal in the partitioned area?

6. hbroomhall

Should be OK.

Harry.

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yep

The router is plugged into the phone socket, the ariel is plugged into the nic on the pc.

Once you have it setup thats it.

My wireless setup for my broadband included the fact I had to set it up wired first untill the software installation was complete before I could become wireless, this may be the case with your ISP too.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

All should ever need to know about how wireless and the rest of the elctromagnetic spectrum works, is revealed below ...

[​IMG]

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  9. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

lol :biggrin

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  10. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Ahh, thanks Modey, thats been bugging me for ages, all so clear now...

:)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

rofl! That's so wrong! :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Aabsolutley - he didn't put the potato in the microwave!!

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  13. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

There are some great little notes in that pic, that you don't always notice at first. I like the 'sinister google projects' and 'death star laser'. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  14. Hollib13

Hollib13 New Member

thanks for that [confusing] diagram although physics was never my best subject !! lol :)

15. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

The router is not plugged into the phone socket, you are thinking about ADSL.

The coax cable is what connects the modem to the cable network.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009