Windows XP Media Edition

Discussion in 'Software' started by mojorisin, Dec 19, 2005.

1. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Hi All

Just wanted to ask has anybody used this version of windows ?

Is it worth it or would i be better just sticking with XP Pro ?

had to take the pc out of the living room (long story) but then thought about buying a new case and puting it under my tv to replace the video / dvd hooked upto my new lcd tv

seems a bit on the pricey side for the software if there are only really cosmetic changes

any thoughts ?

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  2. CliffG

CliffG Nibble Poster

I've read about better dedicated software for PVR's (if that's what your doing)..

I'll try to get you a link, but off memory I think it was based on a linux system.

edit: http://www.mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html

also check out google search 'Building a PVR'.

From everything i've just read in the last few minutes, you don't need some fancy OS that's been released by MS to 'cash in' on the PVR craze :)

Let us know how u get on, this is something i've always wanted to do myself (just about to stick a 200gb HD in my sky+)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

As far as I know XP Pro can do just as well as Media Edition. 8)

4. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  5. trislloyd

trislloyd Nibble Poster

I currently have it set up on a spare pc and have it working on my laptop in virtualpc. It's basically built on Windows XP so to all intents and purposes is kinda the same (i say kinda because i don't want any posts saying's it's completely different blah blah). It's just a bit more shiny, and has a frontend which makes things a tad easier for newbies and the less technical person who just wants to run movies, music, access the web e.t.c without getting bogged down with how things work. Just a quick note though, it's a bit funny with graphics cards and you may get an error saying that your's isn't supported - click ok and it still runs (this happens on every pc i've tried it on and i've had reports off other people saying they get the same. As an alternative - if you have a decent setup you could try mediaportal (opensource mediacentre) it's got a few quirks but i'm sure they'll be ironed out and anyway - it's free! Enjoy!
    Here's the link :- Media Portal

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia Network+, MCP
    WIP: MCSE, specializing in Cisco