WINDOWS XP Installation Problem

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by londonboy, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Any updates?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. londonboy

londonboy Bit Poster

no update yet... I am waiting for refund DEOM ebay seller.. AND then I will buy RAM from crucial.com as you advised before. I tried another HDD (pre installed Win XP O/S for another Computer) on COMPAQ EVO D310 to check and it doesn't work.

Certifications: Brainbench Certified HTML Developer
    WIP: MCDST, MCSE
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yup you would be lucky to get away with that, because as soon as it started booting, XP would detect new hardware and the plug and play enumerator would kick in - then it's like trying to install from scratch and, as you see, your back to square one again.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. londonboy

londonboy Bit Poster

thanks for all replies.. I bought 256 MB (compatible for my COMPAQ EVO D310) from crucial.com for 100% guarranty and also I bought ESD Anti static wrist strap - ESD protection from ebay.co.uk for safe installation. I hope this time everything will be fine.. nice and smooth.. ( I wish :( ) good news is the RAM(S) I bought from ebay.co.uk -- are refunded..

5. londonboy

londonboy Bit Poster

FINALLY Problem solved.. installed new RAM (purchased from crucial.com) and it works fine. I installed the RAM with extra care even I weared ESD Anti Static wrist band. I installed the windows XP but problem AGAIN.. god.. the Problem is it's auto detecting Graphics, Sound and Network adapter, which are all builtin. I don't Have any Restor CD for COMPAQ EVO D310.. any HELP

6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

What fault are you getting? Does Memtest now work?

Even if it installed placeholders for those on-board items it should finish the installation..

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Google the name of the PC and the model of motherboard :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. londonboy

londonboy Bit Poster

THANKS FOR YOU GUYS PATIENCE.. WITHOUT YOUR HELP AND KNOWLEDGE IT WOULD HAVE NOT BEEN POSSIBLE TO END THIS THREAD. GOOD NEWS-- I FINALLY INSTALLED WINDOWS XP PRO SP2 ON COMPAQ EVO D310. I tried memtest86+ which works fine this time. A big thanks to RAFFAZ who advised me to buy RAM from crucial.com.. cheers man.. and thanks again.. I am looking forward for my MCDST preparation. Through this troubleshooting I gained a vast experience which will be a real asset for me.... cheers :D

9. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Glad its sorted mate, i was running out of ideas :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  10. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Great - it's a wonderful feeling when you finaly get things going! :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  11. londonboy

londonboy Bit Poster

I think I should I explain... what I did so far to troubleshooting win xp pro installation on COMPAQ EVO D310

1. bought computer from ebay
    2. tried to change RAM without checking what kind of RAM installed (I think at this stage I screwed up the whole system, probably I burned the installed RAM)
    3. RAFFAZ advised me to use memtest86+ didn't work on Compaq EVO D310, but worked on all my PCS
    4. Remove the HDD from the SYSTEM and installed two different OS (win 2k and win xp pro) and put back HDD, doesn't work
    5. Bought two RAM from e-bay tried installing the RAM.. didn't work, RAM returned for refund.
    6. Finally bought RAM from crucial.com (I checked Compaq EVO D310 RAM compatibility online from crucial)
    7. I also bought ESD anti static wrist band
    8. Saturday morning is big day-- I installed the 256MB RAM (bought from crucial)
    9. I boot my system using memtest86+ boot floppy disk-- wow It works.
    10. System ebay seller supplied me HP OS CD (Win XP Pro SP2)
    11. I tried to boot my System with HP Compaq OS CD
    12. BUT problem again-- It needs Restore Plus! CD to verify the systems authenticity
    13. I checked goggle, Compaq website no where I found that CD
    14. I boot my computer with my another win xp pro CD and installed the OS without any problem
    15. When the SYSTEM first starts I couldn't detect its built in Sound, Graphics and Ethernet Controller
    16. This time I put back my HP CD (I believed the drivers are already in the CD)
    17. I re-install Win XP pro with HP Compaq CD but when the the computer starts still the same problem
    18. I checked BIOS to get the on-board device configuration
    19. I searched HP-Compaq website to get the drivers. I should mention that I also flash the BIOS with BIOS update
    20. All the drivers downloaded and I installed on the system.. EUREKA EUREKA EUREKA..
    21. The computer is running smoothly.. and finally I activated WINDOWS XP Pro and updated the system online.
    :p

12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Nice one mate :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Fun isn't it :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. londonboy

londonboy Bit Poster

it was really good fun mate