WINDOWS XP Installation Problem

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by londonboy, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

So that rules that out then. Take the next step and follow the advise given, remove non essential hardware bit by bit and see if you can find a hardware conflict somewhere along the line.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  2. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

londonboy,

Questions:
    1. Which operating system was installed on the Compaq Evo D310 computer according to the Microsoft "Certificate of Authenticity?"
    2. Which version of Microsoft Windows XP are you trying to install? Home Edition or Professional?
    3. Which type of Microsoft Windows XP are you trying to install? Retail? Upgrade? OEM? Restore CDs? Evaluation? Other?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  3. londonboy

londonboy Bit Poster

I am confused how to use MEMTEST, I bought some FLOOPY DISK, shall I boot the PC with win 98 boot tool and then run memtest from Floppy disk.

Another thing I am trying to install Windows 2000 Pro on that HDD in other PC and then I put it back to see what happens, logically it should start win 2k pro.. any suggestions..

Certifications: Brainbench Certified HTML Developer
    WIP: MCDST, MCSE
  4. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I normally just use nero and burn the .iso image to CD and then boot from that and it will start automatically.

You will probably get problems with 2000 doing it that way, because your changing to many components when you swap the HDD bak to the other machine. It might ask you to reactivate the OS. You can sometimes get round this tho by doing a repair install of the OS.

Also, what makes your HDD?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  5. londonboy

londonboy Bit Poster

Hi Thanks for your reply... well

1. Windows XP Pro was installed on the Compaq EZVO D310 acording to the Microsoft ''Certificate of Authencity''.
    2. I am trying to install Windows XP Professional
    3. Trying to install Win Xp Pro retail

I hope you can guide me

Thanks

6. londonboy

londonboy Bit Poster

Hi have attached the picture of the RAM installed in MY PC, I think RAM is the main problem, if someone can suggest me with the PIC info .. what kind of RAM it is so that I can buy the correct RAM and fix this windows XP installation

KIND REGARDS

Attached Files:

7. Raffaz

An easier way would be to use the crucial or kingston website. You can then enter either your mobo model, pc model, or you can scan the computer and it will tell you what RAM is available, and give you prices. :)

8. londonboy

londonboy Bit Poster

Thanks for your valueable information mate, I check CRUCIAL website and bought 2x 256MB RAM from ebay, my fingers are crossed.. and I hope I will be able to fix this problem. THANKS AGAIN.

9. Raffaz

No probs, just curious tho. Did you manage to get memtest up and running, or didnt you bother? Would hate to see ya wasting money on RAM, if you havent confirmed that its the bad part.

10. londonboy

londonboy Bit Poster

Thanks for your time ..and reply, well indeed I used memtest and I tried it for several hours yesterday. I boot my pc with memtest86+ 1.60 and then memtest86+1.70 but it didn't work as I expected and as it shown on screenshot. It boot the PC with blue screen and there was no progress bar apart from memtest86+ ('+' sign was flashing) and basic PC info. wel what I gonna do I change my pc now and try using memtest and will leave it for 7 hours ( I am going to office now for 7 hours), to see what happens but I will post the screen shots so you can see what's going on.

Thanks

11. londonboy

londonboy Bit Poster

please check attachments-- screen shots of memtest86+ v1.70 whic I ran more than 7 hours and that's screen running.. no report no progress BAR.. any help..

Attached Files:

12. Raffaz

Thats strange. I downloaded and ran memtest from the site earlier and it worked with no problems on my computers. Have you tried the disc on another computer to rule out a bad disc?

13. londonboy

londonboy Bit Poster

thanks for your reply mate.. no I didn't try on another computer and floppy disk was new.. well as you advised I gonna try memtest on another computer and I will let you know.

14. londonboy

londonboy Bit Poster

hi I tried memtest86+ v 1.70 on my another computer and it works fine, I have attached the screenshot. I am bit confused about my P4 computer. Definitely something is wrong, when it was delivered with win xp pro installed. For my study purpose I tried to (clean)install win xp pro and since then everything is screwed up.

Attached Files:

15. Raffaz

Well i would be definately thinking its your RAM now then. Do any of your other pcs use the same type of RAM? You could always try some in the pc that isnt working, that would eliminate the mobo as the cause.:)

16. londonboy

londonboy Bit Poster

I think I'll never ever fix this computer (COMPAQ EVO D310). As I said earlier that I bought 2 new 256MB DDR PC2100u (184 pins), I installed that and funny thing is it doesn't boot. I tried with 1 x 256MB RAM still the same, even it doesn't allow me to check BIOS. But when I put back the old RAM it boot normally and even it also boot with floppy (Though memtest86+ v 1.70 didn't work), I tried to boot with memtest86+ when new RAM's were installed.. it simply didn't work. I don't know where is the problem. ANY IDEA.. mate

17. Raffaz

A few things come to mind.
    1) its a compaq, so it could be fussy with the RAM. Ive just been through the post again and noticed that you bought from ebay after checking what RAM was needed at crucial. I personally would have bought from crucial as their RAM is guaranteed to work.
    2) Did you ever do a BIOS update?
    3) Possible mobo problem, because none of the RAM seems to work in memtest (even the original stuff)
    4) Have you tried an install with the bare minimum installed in the pc? So just mobo, RAM, HDD, CD?
    5) Could even be a dodgy PSU (ive seen intermittant unexplainable problems like this before, caused by a flakey PSU)

Isnt computer troubleshooting fun lol:)

18. londonboy

londonboy Bit Poster

1) As you said that COMPAQ could be fussy.. wondering what to dao, though I contacted with the RAM seller from e-bay and he is happy to change or refund (Crucial sell 256MB for £15.99 eacha and I bought 2 x 256 MB DDR RAM for £18.98 including P&P.. lol)

2) I am very confused about BIOS update, because I downloaded the patch from COMPAQ website but it will run on WIN XP OS no bootable. I wonder if there is any..

3) If there is a mobo problem, how come it delivered with win xp installed.. and I just wanted to re-install

4) I tried to install several times, every thing is built in with mobo including Graphics, sound card, network card, USB etc even I unplugged the usb cable from mobo to see how it goes

5) PSU?? Did u mean Power Supply Unit.. shall change the Power Supply unit then.. because I have one old PC (TINY Brand)

19. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

londonboy,

Question:
    1. Are you trying to use the product key code from the Compaq EZVO D310 Certificate of Authenticity with the "Win Xp Pro retail" cd?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  20. londonboy

londonboy Bit Poster

Answer: I bought COMPAQ EVO D310 from ebay and seller didn't send me the CDS, even though Certificate of Authencity sticker for Win XP Pro is there, but I am wondering how do get that CD.

Thanks