Windows is easy!

Discussion in 'Software' started by simongrahamuk, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I love Ubuntu :baby

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

grow up and play with debian! :biggrin :biggrin :tongue

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

I hope that's a joke, considering Ubuntu *is* Debian :D

Don't get me wrong, but the strength of Linux is also it's weakness. I don't need 14 differents ways to do the same thing, nor do I want to wade through endless, meaningless configuration options for the one geek that wants to control his microwave with http.

For example, I ran into a (much documented) issue with the printing subsystem in Debain. After much googling, configuring and aspirin, the general concensus among Linux Geeks was that it was an HP issue, because it was designed as a 'windows' printer (DJ722c). There were workarounds (Linuxprinting.org), but none of them worked for me. Regardless, after moving to Ubuntu (based on Debain), this 'windows' printer worked right away. Why? I don't care anymore, it prints. Do I know more about the printing subsystem than I knew before? Sure.... but although I love learning at home, nobody in business has time to deal with this ---- something arguably simple, that should just work.

Unless you are an experienced Linux admin, problems become a (sometimes endless) search for solutions -- very satisfying for the hobbyist, yet disaster for the business. Case in point -- webmin (a popular administration tool for linux) wasn't designed for the people that just 'ain't too bright', it was designed to make things more efficient by -- guess what? -- wizards, of a sort (actually just well-thought out scripts, centrally located). The benefit of webmin? Centrally located administration, with the ease of *not* having to traverse (somewhat archaically) the OS repeatedly. Hmmm... probably the same reason Microsoft migrated to wizards. Takes a lot of the guess work out of things that don't require (or need) guessing.

Sure, I think M$ may sometimes go too far with their wizards, but SBS2003 (for example) is not necessarily directed to experienced MCSE's. Not a lot of small businesses have the benefit of a full IT staff, much less 1 MCSE, so even though the wizards can drag it out, they do make it reasonable to install. Besides, even with wizard-lovin' MCSE's, it still takes a lot of knowledge to successfully assemble a complete M$ shop. Windows and Linux -- you say tomato, I say tomahto. Two vastly different ways of getting the same thing done. :p

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  4. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Drawback: I like Webmin way too much. Although it looks like it walked out of the early 90's, in terms of software, it's functionality can't be beat (for free). Needs Extreme Makeover: Software Edition :p

Unfortunately, I've got a ying/yang thing going on here. This thing can actually help you learn -- although it makes administration easier, they also don't hide everything from you. Still, it feels like I'm cheating :oops:

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  5. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Try Netware for size Simon! Now that's a little complex :)

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  6. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Well, that isn't exactly true. Ubuntu is a descendant of Debian, but it is not Debian. Anyone who has set the two up and operated them for any length of time knows there are considerable differences between them.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  7. Rik

Rik Nibble Poster

Or Slackware :biggrin