Windows Aero in vsphere 5?

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Mikeyboy, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Everywhere that I have read about the latest vsphere mentions support for windows aero - I cannot get it to work in my environment, anyone had it working?

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  2. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Answering my own question here... noticed the "enable 3d support" tickbox in the video card options. Got it working on a couple of win7 machines, but trying to get it working in a Vista VM and it was greyed out. So found this fix

Enabling Accelerated 3-D for a Virtual Machine

it is for workstation 5 but I checked the vmx file of one of the win7 machines and that same line was at the bottom, so added it in and I was able to tick the enable 3d support box then (however it did recommend not using 3d acceleration for vista :biggrin ) so just trying to get it working in Vista now, the graphics card shows as a vmware svga II, on the 3d-enabled it shows as vmware svga 3d so just need to get the drivers for that and try and install one in the VM :)

anyone has any pointers then please feel free :) and hopefully this will help anyone trying to find the same thing...

edit: also just found this:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1802745

Successfully updated graphics card to VMWare svga 3D and now aero is enabled :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
    dales likes this.
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Good spotting there, thats another thing that I have on my list to play with, have you run the windows experience test thing to see what numbers its pumps out?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Can't remember exactly what the numbers were, I think the overall rating was still 1.0 as one aspect was low - but the 3d graphics went from 1.0 up to 3.something after I enabled the 3d support. Will check again later to see what numbers I get :) didn't expect the modifying the VMX file thing to work, glad it did.

Was trying to fiddle the other day to get an Apple OSX installed and just gave up as it was taking forever and not really working :x

5. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Its probably checking the hardware and noticing that your not running on fancy pants apple hardware

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  6. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Yes there was another line to add to the vmx to stop it checking or something, and I got as far as seeing a big apple logo come up (after several hours of fiddling) and it kept restarting, I gave up at that point! stupid apples... :D

7. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

This may shed some light on the osx thing.:snipersmi

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  8. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Yes had seen that, I had been working from guides based on VMware workstation as opposed to vsphere, so considered setting it up in workstation then moving it over, or using existing virtual disks etc...but, in the end I just couldn't be bothered with the messing around, sitting my 70-291 soon so trying to focus on that! :)

9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You still need to run scripts on the host(s) if you want to run OSX, I am currently running Lion on WS 8.01 and it runs perfectly :) I haven't had the nerve to move it across to the ESXi environment yet but as I am just building up the lab right now I will leave it on WS for the moment.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  10. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Let me know how you get on with it :) I have workstation (8?) I think, whatever is the latest version anyway, but don't really use it any more, I might have another crack at it after my exam then try moving it over...