Problem Windows 7 system requirements...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Juelz, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

one of the system requirements to run Windows 7 is that you have a 1 GHz or faster x86 processor. Does this mean that you couldn't run windows 7 on anything less? I ask becasue I'm going through an unofficial answer key for the official MS 98-349 book and the question is "A 1 GHz or faster 32-bit processor is required to run Windows 7- True or False?" now I put this down as true, but according to this answer guide (which seems to be realiable) it says its false... am I wrong or is the answer guide wrong.

2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Well, I don't know about looking at the system requirements of an operating system in a book (could be outdated), but you should always check on the vendor website as well...

For example, here's the system requirements to run Windows 7 (from Microsoft Site):

• 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

• 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

• 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

• DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
    So if I look at those requirements, the book is correct in saying that the answer is false, because even though a 32bit processor is supported, it's not required that your CPU be 32-bit (x86), it could also be 64-bit (x64).

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
    Juelz likes this.
  3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

!!!! I see what I did I assumed this question was focusing soley on 32-bit computing I didn't consider the x64 version so yes clearly false. And this is the official book for the MTA 98-349 the exam hasn't been updated since it was released as far as I know.

Thanks!

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

And that's the thing, you need to think the way the exam writers are thinking, there is the MS way and the real world way, just make sure you remember that whilst factually correct, you didn't think out the full answer (as in both an x86 or x64 processor would be fine).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Juelz likes this.