Windows 7 RC, what you think so far?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Raffaz, May 17, 2009.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Alreet :)

Just wondering who is using windows 7 and what you think so far? Ive just updated both my systems to vista a few weeks ago with xp as secondary instead of primary OS (i like to make sure things are stable first lol).
    So, im just wanting to know your experiences so far of windows 7, things such as good and bad features, things you miss, compatability issues etc. Ive heard that there is also an XP compatability mode so what you guys think of this so far?

Cheers

Mick

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I've been loving it since Beta
    but the RC bringing XP Mode really made a difference for me, VMW Workstaiton didnt work properly in 7 beta, but does in RC, and has its own unity feature, but XP mode is cool too
    I have the vSphere client running in XP because it doesnt work in 7 yet

the snap to side aero feature is awesome when im working on two things or have a single monitor (like laptop)

so far, awsome product

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

So far I'm very impressed, it's alot faster than Vista (plus my WEI has increased from 5.2 to 5.7). I've upgraded my CPU in my laptop so it support virtualisation for the virtual XP mode, that is cool.

So far I haven't found an application that won't work (either in Win 7 or in Win XP mode), I'm running UT3 on the machine and apart from 1 glitch (however I'm not sure if that's from the RC release, the CPU upgrade or from UT 3 itself) it hasn't crashed.

The only thing that I don't like about it is IE8, apart from thatm I'm running it on my main work machine.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

just downloading it now, gonna run it under vm first

5. Raffaz

Alreet mate, hows it going?
    Whats vsphere? Never heard of it lol.

Any plans to get over UK for a GTG, they arent the same without ya :)

6. Raffaz

Ive had problems with IE8 aswell, it tends to just close pages randomly and then restart them due to a crash.
    I did notice your other thread regarding processors that support the virtualisation feature. Do you know if the E2200 or Q6600 support this and do you know of any guides that show how to set this bad boy up ?

Cheers

Mick

7. Raffaz

Ive had a dabble with it on fusion 2, its nice so far, but ive very limited use of it :)

8. Kitkatninja

The E2200 doesn't look like it support hardware assisted virtualisation. But the Q6600 does :)

As for instructions, just see here - a piece of cake. I would say when it comes to installing the 2 pieces of software install Windows Virtual PC Beta first, then the Windows XP mode beta. A couple of people have experienced problems when they've installed it the other way round.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  9. Raffaz

Cool cheers for that :)

10. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

I've been running the RC since the day it came out and love it. I first ran it on a VM and now it is my main OS. I have had absolute success with almost everything, I really like the new task bar and the action center. I think Microsoft finally found their new XP with Win7. I have had the same problems with IE8, so I just don't use it, I prefer FireFox anyway.

I did have a problem with drivers for my old Micro Innovations webcam, but since I paid $5 for it two years ago I figured it was time to upgrade anyway and got myself a new Logitech Pro 9000. When installing it wasn't letting me install drivers and software first so to override the problem I just plugged it in first and it finally recognized the device and then let me install. It takes getting used to the directory views if you did not use Vista extensively but I really like the libraries they have set up, nice way to keep everything organized and easy access.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  11. Raffaz

Cool, so are ya havin any software issues, what AV are ya using?

12. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

I've posted a new thread on this issue but i got no answers yet so here it goes:

I've downloaded Win7 RC1 and installed on a VMware VM. I can't get win7 to install a network device driver. I want to use VMWare workstation's NAT network configuration so that it could share my host's IP address but it simply does not install a network driver. I've used the troubleshooting feature on win7 and it pointed out this particular problem...what should I do? I've followed these instructions (http://communities.vmware.com/thread/136676) but it did not work...has any of you guys had a similar problem?

Certifications: MCDST
  13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Nope - but have you tried just powering off the VM, adding a second NIC, powering it up and using that instead? This has worked for me as a 'quick fix' in the past when I've had issues with networking in VMWare Server

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  14. Pheonicks56

What do you mean by AV? Sorry for the ignorance.

15. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Raff means AntiVirus

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  16. Pheonicks56

Sorry, I had a momentary brain fart. I'm running Free AVG, I was having a problem getting McAfee to update in the Win7 environment. So far so good with AVG.

17. Kitkatninja

Same here, until Panda AV works with Win7, I'm using te free version of AVG.

-ken

18. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Does it run well on an average spec laptop like XP and unlike Vista ? Is it's footprint less than 14 GB ?

Let me know when you finish testing it for free for the richest IT corp and have ironed out all the bugs, I may then install Windows 7 SP5.

19. Kitkatninja

Of course I'm only talking about a RC release, however Windows 7 needs 1 GB more HDD space than Vista, however it's alot faster.

-Ken

20. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I've got it on my work PC and in the house

Work:
    Code:
    Processor AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3000+ 3.5  
    Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB 4.2 
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1) 3.4 
    Gaming graphics 1023 MB Total available graphics memory 5.1 
    Primary hard disk 112GB Free (140GB Total) 5.9 

Not the best spec in the world but it runs the 32 bit version poerfectly but its not a patch on my x64 in the house

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)