Problem Windows 7 loosing internet connectivity!

Discussion in 'Software' started by albertc30, Feb 24, 2010.

1. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Hello everybody.

Has anyone experienced this problem? I have windows 7 on my PC and at the beginning it was a very nice experience however, for the past month every so often the connection to the internet just goes. It really annoys me to see a page taking forever to load and when you look to the lower right hand side corner of the screen only to see the yellow triangle with the exclamation point on it, it drives me mad.
    I have goggled this and have found out this to be related to adobe bonjour service? that must be disabled. I haven't got this service on my pc. Others say that it's because the IPv6 is checked and it's causing the conflict.
    Done many changes to my system, including stopped all services that I did not needed and to no avail.
    Anyone have had this problem and how was it sorted?

I found this amongst many other ones but nothing really helped solving my problem.

Any help appreciated.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Have you tried updating your NIC drivers?

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. albertc30

More than once mate.

4. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

How is it connected mate?
    Wireless or wired?

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  5. albertc30

Wired mate and forgot to say that the wife's laptop has windows 7 and this doesn't happen on it.
    It has windows home premium and mine has windows 7 ultimate.

6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Could be the ethernet cable or some AV/Firewall software you have installed? Have you looked at that? Have you tried switching the cable over to a different port on the router/switch?

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

What does the event log say?

I have been using 7 since it was released, running RTM as soon as it came out on Technet and I haven't had any issues with it at all (infact I don't use Vista anymore on any of my machines).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. beaumontdvd

Check the ethernet cable clip on both sides,
    Check the router interface for time limitations and mac address filtering,
    Check firewalls
    Check the telephone sockets connected properly and you have the filter inplace for the phone

Try maybe disabling the connection and enabling and renewing IP

Other than that mate I cant think of anything else apart from a firmware update on the router?
    Sorry just read about the other windows 7 working, ignore the firmware update

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

When this happens can you ping the router?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. madskillz

madskillz Nibble Poster

Are you using static or DHCP IP?

Madz

Certifications: MCSA, MCDST, ITIL v3 F
    WIP: 70-293
  11. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  12. albertc30

Yeap mate, no problems there. I can ping my NAS PC, my Cisco 1721, my wireless access point and I am using static IP configuration.
    When this happens I logon to the router and the internet connection is active. Not to say that when mine looses internet, the wife is on the laptop on facebook playing away on her farm.
    So, I know for a fact that the internet is there and alive.
    I have done so many changes here but to no positive result.
    Cheers.

13. albertc30

Done all of that and still it happens. I have no problems whatsoever on my local network everything works.
    My other pcs running XP has got internet no probs, the lattop with windows 7 home premium is ok, just on mine with windows 7 ultimate this happens.

14. beaumontdvd

Try changing the static connection so it obtains everything automatically. I have windows 7 ultimate on this pc and I havent experienced this so to be honest mate I'm baffled.
    Aso you have tried unticking the ipv6 box on the connection properties?

EDIT: Its not an nvidea network adapter by any chance is it? If it is update drivers as it may not be compatible with 7
    Try also changing the Power Management settings under Configure in the network properties to stop the computer turning off the connection..

Dave

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Try something really simple like changing the filter thats plugged into the phone line.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  16. albertc30

Hello.
    I'll change it to dynamic The wife's laptop is dynamic, maybe who knows? right? I have unticked the IPv6 as well and my built in NIC is a realtek with the latest drivers.
    Let you know how it goes.
    Cheers

17. albertc30

Hello greenbrucelee.
    I would do that but I think it is not needed. Remember that we I loose my internet connection I have other pcs at the same time on the internet, like the wife's laptop is on facebook and playing farmville. Once she was on youtube watching a video when I had lost internet.
    Cheers.

18. beaumontdvd

Dont forget that youtube buffers ahead of itself so you can realisticly watch a little while of it if your internets down. As for farmville I'm not sure but some games allow you to keep playing even though what you do will not be saved onto the server.

19. albertc30

I understand what you are saying mate but nevertheless, when I got no internet connection I logon to my Cisco router and it's there, got an IP address for my dialler and all.

I have had the laptop in front of me and as soon as I lost internet on my pc, I used the laptop to check my online e-mails with no problem so, definitely I do have internet, it's just this windows 7 ultimate loosing it for some reason.

As it was referred before, it apparently is a well know problem and Microsoft has come with no answer to this yet.

Cheers everybody. Any more comments well appreciated and anyone with the same problem and a fix is surely more than welcome. This is killing me. I am really considering going back to my old XP Pro 64bit.

20. albertc30

Hello everybody.
    I am sorry that I haven't been here for a while. I have been busy studying for my A+ so therefore, really busy.
    Anyways, it seems that I have sorted my problem.
    I have changed my static IP address for a dynamic one. Never lost internet connectivity so far.
    Hopefully it will stay this way forever.
    Thanks to everybody.