Problem Windows 7 and mobo upgrade

Discussion in 'Software' started by Raffaz, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Im still at a loss as to how this would prove something when i have tried 2 different mobos, are you trying to say that they both have corrupt BIOSes ?

All components have been swapped out except for the CPU, which is what im trying to get some clarification of.

I cant boot with anything as i loose my picture a few seconds after post so how could i boot using a live CD?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Thats what I was asking mate, can you boot into a live cd? if the only thing you haven't managed to change out is the cpu then obviously the next logical step is that, however it has been known for people to receive DOA boards. What I was trying to ascertain was where abouts the POST process is failing at, the fact that starts to post and then fails tells me it's either a corrupt BIOS (perhaps Electro Static Discharge at some point), memory (using Memtest+86 would tell you if you had corrupt memory chips) or cpu (again perhaps ESD or a power surge sometime).

I guess the only possible step now is to test a different cpu, even something cheap (but obviously compatible), if I were you I would look for a cheap Celeron and put it in the board to see what happens.

Out of interest is it the Q6600 that you think has gone? Are you sure that the processor hasn't just given up the ghost because of the OC? (after all it does decrease the life of a cpu, the greater the OC the more impact on the life of the cpu).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Raffaz

Na its not the Q6600 its the E2200 in my other build. I doubt its the board as the original one has been sent back and im now connected to an Asus and im getting the exact same issue that i was getting with the other board. The RAM has been tested in the Q6600 system and is working fine.

I personally think its the CPU, but was just a bit surprised that i can get POST beeps when no RAM is in the system so was wondering if anyone had had a failed CPU do anything similar.
    I guess ya probably right about trying to get a cheap celeron or something as i cant think of anything else to try now.

4. Raffaz

Ive picked up a celeron for £6 including P+P, so we will see how that goes when it gets delivered:)

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

how about getting a mulitmeter on teh psu to see if its running ok?

Also I have seen a few boards lately with dead PCIe slots and onboard graphics not working correctly but these have been with p55 chipsets.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Raffaz

PSU has been replaced already, no change :)

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

is your system overclocked?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Raffaz

not now, the CMOS has been reset, im also using a brand new mobo, PSU and RAM. Ive pretty much confirmed its a CPU issue so im more interested in similar issues people have had with them.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  9. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Just a thought, But I have just repaired 4 monitors that, after a few seconds, went into standby, could it be a monitor issue?

Have you tried a different monitor.

The monitors that I had problems with were all the same model by LG. The fix was dead easy, just replace a capacitor and all of them are working fine again.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  10. Raffaz

Na mate, i use the same monitor for my other system through a KVM switch, i have also tried a different monitor cable and eliminated the KVM by connecting directly to the monitor. :)