Windows 2008 Server Terminal Services

Discussion in 'Networks' started by zebulebu, Mar 25, 2008.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

So I was bored this weekend and set about playing with 2K8 server. I've already installed it as a DC in my domain, screwed about with NAP and IIS 7 amongst other things, but thought that I'd give the new TS features a go.

Noooowwwww I understand why Citrix have been branching out into all sorts of other crap. I knew from a while back that the new version of TS (used to be called 'Bearpaw' - they should have stuck with that, its a wicked cool name) would have application virtualisation built into it. I just wasn't prepared for how easy it was to install and get it up and running. I have to say that, since I installed it I have worked exclusively from applications published on the Terminal Server and there have been no problems whatsoever. Admittedly my little dungeon doesn't exactly reflect what happens in the real world (when all those nasty users get their hands on my systems) but its an extremely encouraging start.

In the next few months I'll be evaluating the benefits of W2K8 server for work. Up until now I'd been a bit 'meh' about it all - none of the other 'wow factor' enhancements/replacements (IIS 7.0, NAP, Read Only DCs) had been enough for me to get excited about, but I can see this REALLY cutting down on our licensing costs - why on Earth would I want to continue paying extortionate licensing fees to Citrix when the only thing I use of theirs I can now get for nothing from MS?

I might post a video later (if I can get SnagIt working properly again after it threw a wobbly a couple of weeks back) showing just how easy it is to publish and connect to an app - some of you may be surprised at just how painless it is :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Cheers for the heads up Zeb. :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That would be great Zeb, if you get the time mate 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Looking forward to it zeb.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

Terminal Services a TS Application publishing is one thing im really looking forward to, ITidiots have one of their webcasts on it, a little short, but shows you how easy it is and the fact you no longer need users to TS to the server, instead you deploy say MS word to their desktop, the application runs like its on their PC, but its actually running directly from the server...

Should give Citrix a good run for their money!!

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3