Windows 2003 Server is utter crap!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fluid, Aug 1, 2007.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

As I recall, when you look at an individual error in the event log, there should be some sort of link along with the message. When you click it (if you're lucky and you're online), a browser will open and Microsoft's explanation for the error is presented.

You can't shut down or restart the server the way you can XP. I can't remember the exact sequence, there should be an option for selecting a planned or unplanned restart/shutdown and you will not be offered the option to perform those actions until you type some text in the available text field. Then you can do a planned shutdown or restart (yeah...I know, a pain).

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Shut down and restart are systemevents. You'll have to be administrator to do that.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

You need to remember that Server 2k3 is exactly that, its a Server OS. Dont treat it like a client OS because its not like that. Dont use it for programming, surfing the web, etc. Use it as a server and designate what its roles are. I personally cant see any reason for a server to have most of that software installed. mainly:

MSN Live
    Winzip
    Winrar
    Microsoft Visual Studio 2005

as for

Wireshark
    GFI Languard

I cant comment because I've never used them and have no understanding of them.

You can actually switch off the settings which prompt for a reason for shutdown. Its handy in a live environment to see why a machine was shutdown/restarted, but in a test environment its often just a pain in the ass.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

To elaborate on my previous point. To disable the Shutdown Event Tracker, do the following:

Start>>Run>>"gpedit.msc">Computer Configuration>>Administrative Templates>>System>>Display Shutdown Event Tracker

Set this to disabled.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

Unless it is going to be a terminal server or Citrix server.

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)
  6. Crito

Crito Banned

Linux is better than Microshaft Winblows.

Just had to say that. I'm not giving any reasons why. :p

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Aaaaahhh - but you see, you and I could wax lyrical about just WHY you feel that way. That's cos we've been around the block a few times.

Macs, on the other hand, are polished turds - plain and simple.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

:clap

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Hey, leave macs alone. They are colourful and easy to use with a simple interface.

Here is my favorite ...

[​IMG]

:)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

I so wish that I was in a job that involved using both OS's because I'd really like to make an informed judgement on this...maybe one day I'll be in that position but until then the gob remains shut!:D

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

One of the best pieces of advice I got from a sysadmin when I was studying all this stuff was "never marry an operating system". He said he's seen people throw away their careers or at least their jobs by refusing to work with "the enemy".

12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Why don't you download a Linux distro, install it, and see for yourself? Problem solved! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. BosonMichael

Welcome to the forum, Freddy Jr.! :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  14. drum_dude

In the past I have done exactly that! Mandrake, Red Hat and Novell are the only distros that I've played with! However, it's not the same as working with day in, day out! That's what I need in order to make an informed decision...working with Windows eight hours a day and playing with Linux for 30mins to an hour isn't really going to give me an informed view!

Just my opinion really

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  15. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

You havn't said if this is for a work environment or a play at home to learn?

If its a work environment id be very surprised if there is no WSUS server running (if not suggest it - much faster and safer than updating everything from the net)

If it is a home setup for practice/learning or just cos you can :) then you perhaps you should consider buying an anti virus thats a little better than avg? (since you've spent the money on server....)

and lol
    Originally Posted by Crito
    Linux is better than Microshaft Winblows.

Each to there own :)

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  16. cdrees

cdrees New Member

I've worked in small environments with a few servers, and large enterprise environments with over 2,000 servers (most of which were Win2k3, some Win2k and a few NT4) and the Win2k3 servers are rock solid. It boils down to setting them up correctly, understanding group policy and testing before anything is implemented. Having VMs to test against is a big help for sure.

But as far as Win2k3 being crap, that's certainly not been my experience.

Regards,

Christopher Rees

17. BosonMichael

Then work with it day in and day out... nobody says you have to use Windows at home...

18. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Michael's got a point. Create a home LAN that's Linux based. How much of a chore would it be to use Linux for a file and print server, DNS, DHCP, FTP. You probably use all those services anyway.

19. drum_dude

yes I should try harder to get to know these different OS's! Perhaps studying for something like Linux+ would be a good start...watch this space chaps!

20. BosonMichael

Studying for Linux+ is great. But if you want to get to know the different OSes... *use* them.