Windows 2000 WPA Wireless Security

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Rostros22, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

A quick question

Does Windows 2000 (SP4) support WPA wireless security?

I have a wireless network at home which uses WPA security and this is fine with the three machines in the house all using XP with SP2.

My house mates boss is coming round and his laptop is a Windows 2000 machine. I was certain that he wouldn’t be able to connect but after asking him about the wireless adapter I did some research and it looks as though it could work, with appropriate drivers.

I was just going to sack it off and stick a cable from his laptop into my router or maybe knock the WPA off and use the MAC address config on my router.

Has anyone else setup a Windows 2000 machine with WPA?

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I haven't personally but i bet Bluerinse has, he will probably be around later on....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Natively it doesn't, but as you said some manufacturers have included it in their drivers for the card.

8)

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Sorry missed this earlier.

Yes it works a treat no worries at all on my W2K SP4 wireless lappy.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Celia

Celia Bit Poster

I was wondering how to set this up actually.

At the moment I have 3 pcs on my network. 2 desktops running 2kPro (self build) wired up to my Linksys Cable/DSL Router and Wireless G Access Point and an Acer Aspire 1682 notebook using a wireless connection.

The network has a unique name, SSID broadcast is off, 128 bit WEP is enabled and MAC filtering is on. I've read that I can change the IP address of the router from the default and that WPA is stronger encryption.

I've got no information on how to set it up, but from what I can see at the router end I change the Security mode to "WPA Pre-Shared Key", then type in a password between 8 and 63 characters long and set up a group key renewal time.

Question: What is the group key renewal time?

The problem is I don't know what to do on the laptop end of things and what can I change the IP address of the router to?

Certifications: BSc, PGCE(1) 16+, ECDL, A+
    WIP: MCDST & N+
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Celia, I wouldn't bother changing the IP address of the router unless the default is not compatible with your home network. It really doesn't matter too much as it is a private IP address and hence not routeable on the Internet.

Once you have enabled WPA and set the pre-shared key on the router you will lose any connectivity until you go to your laptop wireless configuration and set it to WPA and enter the pre-shared key there too. I often find it is a bit hit and miss but once it works, it works.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

Came across with this one earlier.... I tried it in Win9X/2K and they all worked.....and it's free for download.

http://www.wirelesssecuritycorp.com...o;jsessionid=93336C75755601F1550B77013A95B63D

The hint is that you do not need to set-up any account with them (this free program won't expire if you are only using it to connect to a WPA-PSK-TKIP Network), and NOT the security management part of the program...

check link above for screen-shots and instructions, it's REALLY simple.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,Network+,CST,CNST,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CIW, CCNA, CWNA, Others...