Win98/XP Dual booting

Discussion in 'Software' started by noelg24, Sep 12, 2004.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

since the problem with Kate's PC...I now have a spare 40GB HDD to go with my current 80GB HDD...i have just installed Win 98SE on the smaller drive...but now I cant get it to dual boot!! i had to remove the IDE from the 80GB drive in order to format the smaller drive...I manage to install 98SE but how do I get it to show both the OS's so I can choose which one to boot from? thanks for the help guys...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

What about editing the boot.ini file manually on the c: drive.

You will need to add a line for your windows 98 intall. I think something like this will work OK:

multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 98" /fastdetect

if not post the contents of your boot.ini and I'll try again. :biggrin

Sorry to be so vague but I've had a long weekend and I'm pretty tired :eek:

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I dont blame you Si...i have had a long week and why I am still up I will never know :eek:

oh by the way which boot.ini file? Win 98 or XP? and whereabouts can I do it? can it be done thru XP in my computer or is there another way? remember i cant even boot into 98 on its own without manually removing the IDE cable of the bigger HDD

4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If XP was on the PC first then yes you can edit it through my computer? advanced> Startup and recovery> settings> toedit startup options blah blah >edit button

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

yeah you have had a long weekend :hahaha i'll give it a bash now...

in fact I ma baffled...english if possible please...

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

98 shouldnt have a boot.ini file
    and there should only be one C: drive regardless

i recall something about those legacy OS' having to be installed on the boot drive, so make sure the drive 98 is installed on is set as the boot device

good luck

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I hear you mate but how do I make it the boot device? Xp was installed first and I just installed 98 tonight...

8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Ok guys...here is something odd....i dont appear to have a boot.ini file anywhere on my system....

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

its a hidden file noel
    make sure you have show hidden files enabled

10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

hidden files are being shown but still no sign...where exactly is the file stored? I must be losing it...

11. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

you also need to make xp show system critical files noel!

you could of course, go looking for a boot program which will take control from the POST, something like system commander, etc.

Fergal

EDIT: and its inthe C: drive root directory

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well I gave up on it last nite as I was getting tired and didnt go to bed til about 1am...so I will sort it out 2nite and hopefully get it installed. I am doing all the right things I am sure of it...when I go into FDISK and choose disk 2 after formatting and all the usual it still cant and wont install cos it either tries to format D: (the CD drive) or it tries to install into C: (which has already been taken by XP) so how can I change the drive letters and not make it try and install it onto C: or D:? Also does anyone know why it keeps making BOOTIT EMBR drive cos when I have done FDISK thats what I get when go into XP and look at My Computer....I am getting confused here....HELP!! all I want to do is just install Win 98SE...is that too much to ask?

13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well I have had a scout around the web and searched on Google but all of the sites I seem to visit state that I need to install the older OS first...:cussing even my A+ book mentions it....but now I have reinstalled XP and put just about everything back in I dont want to go thru it again...now guys surely there is a way of installing 98SE into the 40GB HDD without doing anything to XP on the 80GB HDD....and I still need to know how to change the drive letter so that it doesnt try and install 98SE into C: or even D: damn thing....:cussing

14. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

if its trying to install it to D: then it has detected D: as your second drive

letters are relative, they are mearly pointers for your OS, one install of XP may detect a disk as C: whilst the other detects it as F:
    it depends on what else is in your system

windows should of automatically pushed your CDRom back to E: during its install and hence why it sees your second disk as D:
    i dont think it would 'try' and install on the CDRom, never had that occur

15. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I see what you mean...but when I reinstalled XP I created a partition on my 80GB HDD so half of it is C: and the other is now E: which is my back up and D: is still the CD drive...so really it should just make it either D: or put the CD drive to F: even. I really need to think about this one....I was going to say consult the manual...but thats not right...is it? :study :dry:

16. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Ok...update time kids...after so many hours of trying to get this sorted...I finally managed to get 98 installed on the other HDD and am able to boot into it....except the only way I can boot into it is by making the 40GB HDD the first boot device cos when I edited the boot.ini in XP as Si told me how to do...it recognised there was 98 but it wouldnt boot cos of disk hardware configuration...but I wasnt bothered...so unless you guys know a way of getting rid of that message for now I am happy to just keep it as it is and leave 98 to be the first boot OS and when I want to get into XP I just have to press F8 at the boot process. like I said any suggestions would be most welcome...thank you..

17. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Ok so I have been at my wits end trying to install both 98Se and ME on the same HDD but have had enough and now I am using the 40GB HDD to store some DVD movies and use it for more back up...talk about messing with your head...it really does know how to give a huge headache...and it was making the missus angry...:rolleyes: :dry

18. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

why would you want ME and 98SE on the SAME hard drive?
    are you talking same partitions??
    its actually remarkably easy getting them to work together if you have an NT based system as well, without one you dotn actually get a boot loader, the later installed one takes the MBR for itself

19. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well thats what was doing my head in...I was a partition program and theres me thinking it would install them both on seperate partitions and instead one OS would overwrite the other one!! so I just gave up as I have been at it for nearly a week now...dont wanna hear another word about partitions and dual booting windows...think I might just sell both 98Se and ME...

20. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

The reason it was installing on the same partition is they both need to installed on C:\. It's only the later OS's that you can choose where you want it installed.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685