WIN XP Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by Luddym, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey guys (and gals),

I've had two computers running windows XP for about 18 months. One is a Laptop, the other a desktop. Both were purchased through big retail outlets, and as usual, came with Windows XP Home pre installed. They also came with 'Set up' disks, which were computer specific, and didn't come with a plain Windows XP Setup disk.

My laptop's setup disk just stopped working the other day, so I havent been able to reinstall windows on that. And . . . in the next few days, im going to have to change my motherboard, so I will no longer be able to install windows on my main pc.

I have Authentic product keys for both machines, and have been looking at a way of 'borrowing' a windows XP home disk so I can install windows, and use my product keys. Unfortunately, I have managed to borrow a retail copy off a friend, but that won't accept my product key, and he also had what he called an 'OEM' copy, that also wouldn't accept my keys.

Does anyone know whats going wrong? Or if indeed what I am trying to do is actually legal?

Many thanks in advance.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

How do mean, the CD stopped working? Is it scratched? Why are you trying to reinstall it anyway? If you replace the mobo you should be able to keep your old hard drive with the Windows installation.

As for the legality, the way I see it is: you have one licenced copy of Windows and you want to use one copy of Windows, whether or not you installed it from the disc you were given. Ethically, I'd say you were in the clear. Uncle Bill might have other ideas however. For example, if you get an OEM copy of Windows with a PC, and you buy a new PC, it's against the licence agreement to use your old copy of Windows on the new PC even if you stop using and format the old one. To me, that's crud but unfortunately, it's the law.

Good luck.

EDIT: Having read your post again, I can't see why you couldn't install Windows from the borrowed discs with your original key. AFAIK, the keys are generated by an algorithm rather than being specific to a copy. Therefore, any genuine key should work on any copy of Windows.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Contact MS and ask for their advice. I wouldn't hold my breath but it is worth a try...

Please let me know how you get on :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is it an OEM copy of Windows your friend has or is it a restore disc which will have other applications on the CD as well?

I don’t think you should have a problem with your product key as long as you have a proper Windows XP Home CD. At work I have to rebuild loads of Dell PCs (usually because of spyware), I just use the Windows XP disc we have in the office and key in the Product Key that is on the side of the PC and it installs without any problems.

In regard to any activation problems just phone Microsoft. They will ask why you need to reactivate your Windows install, say ‘rebuild’ or ‘hardware failure’ and you won’t have any problems.

Furthermore you could get a new restore CD for your laptop, might save you some problems getting drivers etc. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

The Laptop Disk just stopped working. You chuck it in the drive and it just acts as though there isnt a disk in it. I tried it in other cd/dvd drives, and the same thing. It is as though it has been wiped.

With the Setup disk I got with my HP Desktop PC, it is computer specific, It won't install on any other pc's. I have tried.

Both PC's are in need of a reinstall because I'm one of those people that like installing alot of stuff to test out, before deciding on which product to buy. Download.com is my best friend. :D And after a while, the PC becomes clogged and slow, and in a darn good need of a tidy up. (Even after you've uninstalled everything you've installed.)

When I change the Motherboard, sure I can keep the same copy of windows on the hard-disk. But . . . as it is in need of a re-install right now, the problem will be that even if i reinstall windows before I swap motherboard, I will need to re-install again in the future at some point, in which case I will be back at sep one. Needing to install Windows without an install CD that will take my product key.

Yeah Baba. It is weird. When I try to install from the borrowed disks, everything is fine until it comes to asking for the product key, then when I insert either of my keys, (Both genuine, with the sticker on the case of the PC to prove it, and both PC's purchased from Big retail outlets.) Oh well, I'll just keep trying and if all else fails, phone the mighty giants themselves.

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.

6. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hi Sparky,

My friend has an Actual OEM copy of windows. No extra software included.

I think I may look into going back to the Laptop maker and try to get a copy of the restore disk, or . . . . windows 200 here i come. :D

7. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Erm, that should of course be 2000. :)

8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

oh, i see.

Try software galaxy or E-bay....

At least this way you will have 2 versions of XP that you can install as often as you want. :)
    It is a shame that MS went this way. I mean, you have already paid for XP in the price of the machine....
    Try them, let me know what they say. I haven't had to do it... yet!

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Windows 200. Sorry...couldn't resist. :tongue

[​IMG]

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

I keep forgetting about the 5 hour time difference Trip.

When i am getting tired you are getting home from work and hitting CF :)

11. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

:D Trip,

I beat you to it . . . just :biggrin

12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm still at work. Won't get off for another hour and a half. :wink:

You're thinking of the time difference between you and the US East Coast. I'm two time zones further west which means there's a 7 hour difference.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  13. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Just so i know you say your putting or trying to put win xp on your com again as your fitting a motherboard. Now ive had to reformat and i had to boot up from bios basically. Firstly you need to get into bios and set it so that the first thing to start up is your cd drive , then basically the rest should be straight forward you should just be able to follow the screen as it loads windows on for you . Any problems just send me a PM

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

:blink How many different zones are there then Trip? Within the US that is :biggrin

15. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey ZX,

Thanks for the advice.

Both of my PC's do have their BIOS set to boot from CD-Rom. The problem I have at present is with my computer Product key stickers not being accepted when Windows is half way thourgh installation.

16. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

This has been in the back of my mind throughout this thread - you may find the following article useful:

Windows validation tool thwarted

Edit: It does rather sound like I am inferring you are using pirated software, LuddyM - I do not mean that at all. I just can't help thinking your keys have somehow got blacklisted. Sorry for the suggestion - no offence :oops:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I don't know the facts regarding product keys but I do know that in the past Win9x for example you needed to you the product key that was printed on the actual label of the CD. I bought 14 computers in one go without the OSs installed and the supplier mixed up all the CDs and the books with the key on the cover. It took me ages to match up the product keys with their related software.

More recently I have had issues with the action pack product keys for XP.

If anyone can shed some light on the actual facts regarding product keys and any versions of current operating systems I would be grateful.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  18. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey Jakamoto,

Thankfully thats not the case. :D

As I'm doing a clean install (not update), the Product key is asked for sort of half way through setting up the system, before you are connected to the Internet in any shape or form. If my Product key were blacklisted, it would accept it when I typed it in, but not let me activate it .. . . I think.

19. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You are correct Luddym!

As I said before, I think you need to have a correct match with the product key and the specific media.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  20. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Ouch, that kinda sucks then.