Win NT icons

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by flex22, Oct 22, 2004.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Icons on Win NT desktop changed to some ugly icon on every folder on the desktop.
    Looked in folder options, can't figure out how to change, everything looks fine in settings.
    How can I change it.
    Sorry for bein brief, at work.
    Answer asap thanks:!:

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Right-click, Properties, Change Icon ?

Might work - I dunno. Sorry to be brief - clueless !!!
    :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

she's got loads of icons, would take too long.

4. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

It seems that every folder has been associated with winzip.
    Can't see how to change this in winzip, all seems fine.

Any ideas.

5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Have you tried rebooting? :blink

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Change the associations mate - open explorer, tools, folder options, file types tab.

Most programs (or program writers for that matter) are arrogant enough to assume that the file types they use should be associated with them - which is annoying. Simple matter to dive into the above and associate the file types with the program you want.

My 2p..

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Cartman appears, delivers a devastating answer, and heads off into the sunset once again .... :biggrin

Good to see you, Cart(D) :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Yup what Carty said you gotta get them files to open with another prog!!!

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  9. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I will have a go tomorrow.
    She reckons she didn't install winzip or hasn't used it recently.

Tbh I gave up exasperated, as two other people suddenly turned up thinking they knew the answer, when in fact they hadn't got a f*&%^in clue :x
    I wont even tell you what they were trying, in order to sort it.

I may have a go tomorrow, it'll get me out of work for a few mins at least :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help.

Edit: I told her to reboot, but she said she was too busy with stuff.Suit herself I suppose.

10. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

The programs icons are opening in the correct program.
    The icons are the only thing that's wrong.

Some supergeek came along and cleared the icon cache or summit, which didn't work hahaaaa:!::twisted:

11. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

This is a nice thread, not a bit of smugness in sight. Ahhhh, reminds me of the old days *reminisce reminisce*

(and Hi yourself Gav BTW)

12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Oh come on mate, we all need to have a good laugh now and then. BOFH stories are always amusing. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  13. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Too true, BOFH is compulsory reading. It's nice to live out the fantasy of burying users under the comms room floor through BOFH :)

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  14. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

One of the senior IT guys was passing through the office today, so I told the woman who's comp has been iconozized to ask him because he should know more than most others.
    He looked at it for about thirty mins, and I heard him mention a profile problem (which I at first mentioned :D ) when asked to fix it myself.
    I couldn't make out a lot of what he was saying because I was too busy trying to look too busy.
    Anyway he said that the machine was deranged and it'd need replacing, beyond repair, off to the big computer fair in the sky, mors ultima linea rerum est, off to the knackers yard, nada, no more, hasta la vista, move over xp's on the way, thanks for the memories, all 64 MB's of them.
    It's fooked.:!:

Some guy said it was something to do with the printer *looks up in bewilderment to the grey clouds which are beginning to weep on my behalf*
    Another said try and turn the monitor on and off.Seriously I'm not making these up, god I wish I was.
    "It's a security setting" :wtf: the wise man said from yonder behind the massing crowd. "Oh and beware the ides of Mar" I thankfully cut in to tell him to shut up, the stupid pilchard.

There now, is everyone entertained :D

15. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks for the laugh flex. Personally I think the machine is just a bit confused and may sort itself out when rebooted. :rolleyes:

16. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Did you get the problem sorted? :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009