Win 98SE/Win NT 4.0

Discussion in 'Software' started by noelg24, Sep 16, 2004.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Ok...maybe I am going nuts here but since the successful install of Win 98SE I would now like to go further and install Win NT 4.0 on the same HDD as Win 98SE. however my question is this..can I install NT by partioning the HDD with 98 still present on the drive or do I have to format the HDD and install them in chronological order after partioning the drive of course...thanks for the help guys...

I tell you this tho it makes good practice for when I am ready to take the exams...which I hope to book very soon...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Hi NoelG

I think formating, partitioning and reinsatalling is the way to go. Win9x uses the Fat file system, and NT/2K/XP uses the NTFS file system. NT/2K/XP CAN be installed on a fat formated drive, althouh I would recomend NTFS. If you want info explaining the difference's, let me knbow and I'll do my best to answer. basicly NTFS is designed to be more secure.

HTH :D

Andy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I know that Punkyboy...I just read an article on a site explaining about the way to go about making NT and 98SE dual boot on the same drive and you can have one part as FAT and one part as NTFS. I do know the difference between them both. so I guess its back to the drawing board or in this case back to the lab. so what about using 3rd party partition programs? can they work if I didnt want to format the HDD? and what about XP on the 80GB HDD will I just leave that as it is cos altho I have modified the boot.ini file to show Win98SE it doesnt boot into it that way I have to either make 98 the boot OS or hit F8 to bring up the boot menu and choose the HDD Win 98 is on...it all seems so mind boggling but it helps in the long run if someone else wants it done...

4. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Using 3rd party partition programs is down to personnal preference really if you ask me. I tend not to use them, but one of the other members who do could tell you the benefits of using one. As for the second HD with XP on it, no, you will not need to touch it.

Just format the drive with 98 installed, make 2 or three partition's, depending on the size, Install NT on one, and Win98 on the other. Remeber to choose NTSF formating for the drive you are installing NT onto (if you want to use that file system). If you can make a third partition, do so, buyt you can leave it unformated, so if you choose to istall Win2K (for example) at a later date, you have the space to do so, alhough all three drives will have OS's on them and you will not have a dedicated partition just for non OS data. You could also format it with NTFS or FAT and use it for storage.

It would also be advisable to partiton the 80Gig drive into at least 2 drives, one for the OS, and one for data. This mean's that if it all goes pete tong with the XP system, and you need to format and reinstall on that drive, all your MP3/Office doc's/ whatever will be stored safely on another drive. The only way you will loose it is if the HD actually fails/ goes bad/ Whatever.

HTH, it's still early here, and I've got a long day ahead!!! :gmorning

Andy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Cheers mate..I've partitioned the 80GB HDD and made the other half a back up and thats where I store all my MP3 and other important stuff so thats one side covered. but like you said if it does go completely ka put on me then I am doomed...doomed I tell you...but thanks for the help mate really useful when you know how. its good you mention about partitioning the 40GB drive in 3 partitions cos I do have a Win ME CD but the only problem is I dont have the CD Key cos the PC that previously had it got stolen and all the books and software with it too and that included the CD-Key so looks like that one is out of the window totally. but I will go home tonight and get partitioning all over again.