Win 98 upgrade ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jakamoko, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi All,

Tell me, can Win98 (not Second Edition) upgrade directly to w2k/XP ? Can't lay my hands on the relevant chapter in my books off hand, so if you got a quick answer, I'd be more than grateful :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Hi Gav,

In my rush to answer this (thinking I know this, I know this!!! lol), didnt read your post properly and didnt see the NOT Second Edition bit.

Anyways for wot it's worth 2nd Edition DOES upgrade to Win2K Pro quite easily, the upgrade process generates an 'incompatability report' and tells you what drivers to upgrade, so I GUESS the original WIN98 wouldn't be a lot different.

Now watch a 1,000,000 people come along and tell me different!!! *hiding*

3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

:soz for only replying now Jak, I just noticed you needed a quick reply.

I checked my book and as far as Win2k goes, my book doesn't specify a certain edition of 98, it just says you can upgrade directly from Windows 98, so looks likt that one's sorted.

As far as XP goes, I haven't been studying this, so I had to go and search it out.I found a link which might be of some help help!!!!!
    The very first link on that page mentions upgrading Windows 98 or Windows 98 second edition, so that looks ok also.Looks like there's plenty of issues though.

4. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

Anything from Win 98 onwards can be upgraded direct to XP. I would always prefer to do a clean install though Gav.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

When in doubt, you can always slip the upgrade disk into the machine's cd-rom and run a compatability test. Any potential problems will show up (ideally).

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Thanks all,

He managed to get an upgrade to Win98 SE. Unfortunately, still hasn't helped with the modem compatibility issue I'm working on with him :roll:

The things I do for my clients 8)

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You might want to make sure the critical and driver updates are current (yes, Microsoft is still supporting updates for Win98SE). That might go a long way to solving your modem problems.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

I remember the transition from 98 to Win2K was fine apart from the modem issue - for a supposed PnP device they REALLY are pains in the backside. If you have trouble finding 2000 drivers, Gav, have a poke around www.driverguide.com, that usually manages to throw up the right one for your modem. Takes a bit of hunting....

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Thanks again Guys - sorry for not making myself too clear in my rush on this one... :oops:

The customer has an ADSL USB modem, with up to date drivers, I just need to finish setting him up. :roll: