Will you be joining a professional organisation in 2022?

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by JK2447, Jan 21, 2022.

1. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi all

I wondered what professional organisations like the BCS, IET, IEEE etc you are a part of or are thinking of joining or renewing this year? Do you feel there are still benefits to being a part of these organisations in 2022?

Thanks
    Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    Kitkatninja likes this.
  2. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Well I've just renewed my BCS membership for another year. I was in two minds, but it boiled down to whether or not I wanted to lose my Chartered status (CITP). Depending on how my career goes over the next 3-5 years, I'm in two minds about the CEng (and in turn the Eurling status) - but that's years away (if I decide to go for it).

As to whether there are still benefits to being part of these organisations... It's a difficult question to answer. The IT Profession, is a "non-profession" profession. Unlike Engineering, nursing, teachers, lawyers/solicitors, doctors, etc... We have no real standards, no minimum qualifications, no standardised job levels (there's SFIA, but it's not widely used), etc. Which means that IT Professionals can be paid anywhere from minimum wage upwards, and this can lead to alot of "cowboys".

However that also means that we can adapt faster, and if you're good enough, your salary can increase dramatically.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
    JK2447 likes this.
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Let mine lapse years ago, couldn't see the point of it or CEng.

JK2447 likes this.
  4. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Thanks both. Great to hear two different points of view. I got to CITP but didn’t renew, but I feel like it can add weight in certain scenarios.

if you have your own IT firm, are an IT contractor or just want to add an association to a professional body. None IT but I’m a member of the national residential landlords association as a landlord and investor. I don’t need to be but I get access to good industry info, some useful documents and I like to show that I’m well versed in the rules and regulations around being a good landlord. A lot of these professional associations also have good training on offer if someone wanted to compliment their qualifications, or lack of I’ve found.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Let my BCS membership expire years ago – might join again one day but too much going on just now to get any value from the membership.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs