Wigan & Leigh College Testing Centre - Closed

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by andylb, Dec 20, 2010.

1. andylb

andylb New Member

What a shame, (delete if this has already been mentioned!)

After today, the testing centre at Wigan & Leigh College is no more. I was in there doing my 70-290 [passed :-) ] and John the ex-guardsmen who always ran the place with meticulous efficiency informed me that today was the last day for testing there, ever.

Apparently the college only get £4 an exam from the Pearson Vue / Prometric et al.

Real shame for us north westerners who didn't want to venture to the expensive car parks and high traffic of Manchester/Liverpool.

Certifications: ICND1, MCDST, MCTS (Vista, why!?), A+,
    WIP: CCNA, ITIL F, Prince2 F, MCSA
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

That only comes into effect once they deliver a certain number of exams (in essence they don't get paid anything for the first 10 or 20, can't remember if it based on amount of exams per month or per quarter).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Johnny Napalm

Johnny Napalm Bit Poster

Blimey, that's a shame. I was only there on Monday for my Security+ (Passed). Nobody mentioned it then. I used to use a place in Liverpool and that's closed as well (although it was kind of scruffy) :(

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA, MCDST
  4. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

Hmm I nearly went there for my last exam. I went to Taitec at Manchester today. Bit of traffic noise to put up with but easy to get parked for free nearby.

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCTS:Win 7, Application Infrastructure
    WIP: MCITP:EA
  5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I heard it was a ridiculous amount that they get paid per exam. I don't blame them for closing as it's not worth it when you take the overheads into account.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  6. WMC Dave

WMC Dave New Member

It is sad to see the centre at Wigan and Leigh close - unfortunately a sign of the times.

We have a Prometric and PearsonVue testing centre at our Carlett Park campus in Eastham on the Wirral just off the M53/A41 - located in wooded grounds with a free car park - just remember to get a pass from the student services desk!

Might be a less fraught journey! Hope this helps.