Why Vista isn't quite as good as Microsoft hoped?

Discussion in 'Software' started by hbroomhall, Sep 8, 2007.

1. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I've 'borrowed' this URL from an article in the new PCW that has just landed on my doormat. It shows just what problems the developers at Microsoft face just to get something fairly 'simple' out of the door.

http://moishelettvin.blogspot.com/2006/11/windows-shutdown-crapfest.html

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Harry,

I'd read that before. It shows just what kind of condition MS is in, businesswise. Anyone who thinks they aren't going down the tubes and that open source isn't going to dominate, and dominate sooner than later, is simply, I think, in total denial or has not really learned about open source's strengths and how fast it is growing behind the scenes.

You add in the corruption issues MS has, and it multiplies their problems because they are making enemies with their actions far faster than they ever made friends. All of this has to affect employee morale, and employee morale is a key factor in any business' survival. The sum of the problems they face is far worse than each of them taken at face value separately as they each compound the effect of the others to worsen the overall situation. Yes, MS has a large warchest, but you spend a half a billion here, a few hundred million there, another half a billion someplace else, and have sales of your new flagship product absolutely tank, and pretty soon it adds up to real money, even for MS.... And the barbarians(open source) are already at the gates....

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Forget "Why Vista isn't quite as good as MS hoped", for me it's why Vista isn't quite as good as I hoped. What another OS actually loses network setting while you're using it? And that's just the start.

I'm not bashing MS, heck I actually like MS (hence the environment I work in and my certs). That's why I can't wait for Windows 7 (formerly codenamed Blackcomb, then Vienna), hopefully that OS will be better. Or maybe, just maybe SP1 for Vista will improve the OS or am I wishful thinking? :biggrin

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Agreed.

Vista is a steaming turd. This decade's equivalent of ME.

That said, WSRV2K8 (those acronyms are getting harder to write with every release) is actually looking pretty good to me so far...

Course, they'll probably go and ruin it when it RTMs, and I'm pissed that a lot of the cool virtualisation features won't make it until at least SR1, but I am definitely liking it so far - especially some of the improvements to AD.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. Crito

Crito Banned

Hate to say anything nice about Vista, but IE 7, Defender and UAC have actually made my life a lot easier. Being able to image the whole drive and do a bare metal restore (on Business and Ultimate editions anyway) is a really nice out-of-the-box feature too. I'm so sick of having to clean up spyware/malware infected XP installs it's not even funny anymore. Norton/McAffee/Kaspersky is like having a radar detector that goes off after you get a ticket. First you get infected, three days later the new definitions detect it. And chances are the malware found a way to screw up your antivirus software too so you can't remove it and end up spending a couple hours reinstalling everything.

For the love of Allah, Buddha or whatever other deities you worship, at least install IE 7 and Defender on XP. And if you have Vista leave UAC enabled! Preventing an infection is a lot better than trying to cure it.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

In addition to what Crito said (I'm a big fan of UAC as well), there are also a lot of good Group Policy settings provided with Vista... certainly worth considering in a business AD environment, provided your applications are compatible with Vista (which seems to be a primary reason businesses are NOT switching to Vista).

Platform-independent imaging is also a godsend to companies... no longer do we have to keep an image of the Optiplex 860 box, the Optiplex 870 box, etc.

How about allowing users to install their own printers? Or providing administrators the ability to easily run an install or change a setting with administrator credentials without having to log the user off, log the admin on, change the setting, log the admin off, log the user on, and THEN see if it worked? These are wonderful changes that any administrator will treasure... it's not ALL a pile of crap.

Windows Me, on the other hand, provided absolutely NO worthwhile benefits.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Umm...I have to disagree with you there BM! Windows ME had one cool feature...it could actually shut down thereby saving thousands of pounds in electricity bills - as opposed to Win 98 where an employee would shut down, go home, come in the next day only to find that Win 98 hadn't shut down!

All tongue in cheek of course...LOL!!! :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

I must get my hands on Vista...I'm ashamed to say that I haven't even tried it yet!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  8. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Nonsense ! You can never have too many powerpoints or managers ! :biggrin

If things go wrong replace a developer with a manager and create another powerpoint, possibly hold more meetings, repeat this process as necessary...

At the end when it all goes down the swanny you can always blame the developers, after all they won't be there to defend themselves ! :blink

9. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

There's nothing to be ashamed of in not trying Vista. I never used ME either and I do not consider that a lapse of good behavior on my part..... :twisted:

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  10. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Yeah Vista has some good features for those users away from corporate firewalls a debilitating group policies.

Let's not forget that stand alone PC's & small unmanaged workgroup PC's might as well be in a different universe to the bolted down PC's on a corperate domain that I deal with now!

It’s nice though being able to install software etc without having to remove Spyware & virus’s + deal with corrupt registry settings.:D

At least MS has tried to deal with some of issues users had constant issues with. However, I cant help feeling that Vista is very Mac ish though :eek:

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I never had much luck getting WinMe shut down either. :)

I believe some of the problem (with Win98 2e) was related to (or compounded by) Win98 2e computers on a domain shutting down the network card too quickly... and then it just hung there. At least, that was what I narrowed it down to. I'd take the PC's off the domain (and into a workgroup), and the problem would vanish... put them back in the domain, and the problem would start again.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!