Why is IT full of pre-madonnas ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by aushus, May 24, 2020.

1. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

I always wonder,

It is full of peoples with highly inflated egos

Insecurities

Naysayers

Presimists

Beta males

Feminist females

Why is this ?

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

How very dare you!!

3. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

Just wondering as i am a researcher

4. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

met lots of the first two in IT, Dislike pretentious peeps though, not sure how it compares to other careers areas though!

Possibly because IT peeps tend to be geeks (so do some other jobs though) which tends to have less social mileage.. hard to say

Certifications: CCNA | HND | 70-646
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I don't really work in IT, more software development.

The people are predominately engineering types.

As such they tend to look for areas where a system might fail, this could be viewed as pessimistic. Sometimes its useful, sometimes it isn't, however I'd not want to get into a elevator or mode of transport that engineers didn't think about failure modes.

Business types tend to be more arrogant and 'positive', however they would often be happy to develop things without sensible safeguards, performance, functionality. They tend to be showmen who think things just happen by magic.
    It is generally very difficult to have a career as an engineer without making things that work and produce some value. I have seen no limit of corporate business people who have successful careers despite never performing anything of value.

Many programmers are nerds so are socially insecure, however they tend to be very arrogant in a professional setting. Often they are overconfident in their abilities professionally, and can benefit from learning to be more humble.

IT support I have seen from very small focused departments full people that like computers, to large telesales type departments. The large telesales type departments were more diverse but really they didn't strike me as computer people, while more diverse, they resembled a circus, always talking and performing antics. I find it hard to believe they were any good at their job or had much technical knowledge.

I never met a full on feminist in real life, I have worked with some beta males. What I mostly find are people who are brainwashed by media narratives. They bow to social norms and pressures that they believe make them the 'good guy'. Mostly they are completely misinformed about the true motivations for various social movements. They are 'liberals' or hipster snowflake millennial's with very little intellect.

Its not liberal to infringe on other peoples rights to enhance your own rights. Most rights are god given. Others are conferred by society and come with responsibilities. Many in modern society want rights without responsibility.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You get used to them after a while :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. linuxuser

linuxuser Nibble Poster

I hate the type that talk down to you, especially devs when you approach them with a bug and their response is “have you tried clearing cache and cookies?”

I feel like saying, have you tried making something that works? Lol

Certifications: ITIL v3, IS Foundation
  8. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Lmao what a funny yet true thread.

bravo