Why Hello there.......

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by darthsion, Jul 30, 2005.

1. darthsion

darthsion New Member

Good day to one and all!!

How you all doin?

Stumbled across this site while looking for an IT community I could chat to, and having browsed through this place for a while, i must say its brilliant, you run a pretty top show here people.

Im 20 years old, and from Portsmouth.

I have 7 GCSE's, 2 A Levels, and the A+ cert, and am working on a BSc Honours degree in Computing from the Open Uni, aswell as studying for the 70-271 and 70-272 M$ exams.

I was lucky enough to have hands on IT experience in a corporate environment early in my career when a local Telecomms company hired me as a "trainee systems administrator" at 16, while i was doing my A Levels. There i got loads of useful hands on experience in the Microsoft 2000 technologies (Pro, Server, Exchange etc etc), and got a feel for the general role of Systems Admin in IT.

I finished my A Levels, and after 2 years in my "trainee" role, i felt that it was time for me to move on. I was eventually offered the position of Helpdesk Administrator for the Capita Group at the turn of the year, in the bustling Business Systems department, which I am thoroughly enjoying.

I am hoping to be MCSA and CISCO qualified in the long term, after ive finished my degree and MCDST.

Hope thats not too much of a lecture! :eek:

Hope to see you around soon!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCP, MCDST, BSc (Hons)
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Darthsion - thats no lecture, it's great to hear all about our new Members. Enjoy CF - I hope we can help you :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome to the forums m8 glad you found us :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Welcome! :)

WIP: N+
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hi mate.
    There's many here who will envy your experience.
    I don't think they take on 16 year olds to help with the servers any more...
    That's why this forum is full of people studying like mad.
    It is our dream to one day be allowed to do what you did in your school holidays!
    Great, isn't it? :biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. darthsion

darthsion New Member

Alright Jonny,

I think youre right about that, I dont think at the time I was aware how lucky I was to get some hands-on IT experience so early, but it has put me in good stead, as they recommended me to my now current employer and they have agreed to subsidise all costs for my upcoming Microsoft exams!!

So I am lucky enough to have 3 years IT experience, and upcoming certs (for free) all whilst at a fairly (dare I say it) young age.

I have seen a lot of people on here that say that actually have no IT experience whatsoever, so Im sure its a lot tougher for them to visualise the scenarios when trying to study for the exams, but it's still great that people are still giving it a bash!

Cheers for the welcome (every1)!

:p

WIP: MCP, MCDST, BSc (Hons)
  7. KeithNN

KeithNN Byte Poster

Hiya. Welcome aboard and good luck with all your studies (present and future!)

Certifications: MCSA/MCSE, MCDST, MOS Mstr, Sec+,Net+,A+
    WIP: 70-284