Why do our NHS hospitals suck so bad?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Dec 23, 2010.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I was walking through town and some idiot on a bike crashed into me. I have smashed my teeth and my top and bottom lip are cut. I was taken to hospital and never saw a doctor for 2 hours and 35 minutes.

The doctor saw me for less than a minute and he said you will have to phone dental direct and they can see you on an emergency appointment. My emergency appoint is 11.30am tomorrow morning.

I wasn't even given a cloth or anything to wipe the blood of my face although I got a couple of paracetamols which haven't done jack **** to stop the bleeding in my face or the pain.

My emergency appointment is going to cost me £16.50 and thats before they do anything.

This sucks and the NHS sucks big time. It makes me wonder what my NI and Tax is for.

Sorry rant over, but I am really pissed off.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

And people ask me why I don't want your healthcare system over here. :rolleyes:

Hope you heal up quickly, GBL.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

That does sound pretty ****e but, where there blame there is a claim.

I better apologise for the bad language, sorry

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  4. greenbrucelee

I actually think your system is better.

Trust me if I can I will claim cos this is gonna cost me.

5. L1ONE

L1ONE Bit Poster

Not trying to sound like a dick, but what did you expect them to do?

Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCDST, MCP
    WIP: N+ maybe.
  6. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

It's not the NHS that sucks. It is the privatisation of the dentistry. Unfortunately, I wouldn't even say dentists are on the NHS in real terms, they are just a heavily subsidised offspring, that's about it.

It's a shame because Dental treatment should be completely free and fall under direct control of the NHS.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  7. greenbrucelee

How about treating me or atleast giving me something so I can wipe the blood of my face and stop the blood coming from my mouth and spilling all over the floor and not calling an appointment an emergency appointment because its nearly 24 hours away that isn't an emergency appointment.

8. greenbrucelee

I know the NHS sucks mostly because of privatisation but when I went into the hospital a couple of the nurses looked at me as if to say how dare you come here for treatment and bleed all over our floors.

The nurse who took me into the cubicle bearly spoke, she just said sit down someone will come along in a bit, she came back about 10 minutes with paracetamol and ibuprofen and she was not be seen again.

9. L1ONE

L1ONE Bit Poster

Agreed that they should of given you something to wipe it up with, but knowing how money saving and stupid some hospital workers are, did you ask? I doubt cuts and teeth are high up on the list of emergencies. I had to walk in to A&E (with a friend helping me), when my vision blacked out and I collapsed on the floor, the nurses took me straight through and I was seen almost instantly.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCDST, MCP
    WIP: N+ maybe.
  10. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

What happened to the guy on the bike? where is he? did you get his details? did he apologise?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  11. greenbrucelee

he was arrested because the bike he was on was stolen, people were chasing him at the time when he crashed into me.

I have to go and give statement to the police when I finish work.

12. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Dude, just be grateful for what you have.

13. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Sorry to hear that GBL, and hope you get the treatment you deserve in the end. To be fair on the NHS staff a lot of them are on minimal wage and work extremely hard without almost no recognition for clinical staff.

However, we're are all the victims of the system as the NHS has more managers drinking coffee and doing nothing but wasting hard working tax payers money.

Please, I don't want to start on this issue, so best wishes and take care of yourself:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  14. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Are you mad? :rolleyes:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  15. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

When i was younger i smashed both my front teeth out when i was out BMXing, it was on a Saturday and my "emergency" treatment was'nt until the Monday, that was over 20 years ago, so nothing has changed at all. At the end of the day theres not alot A&E can do, i mean you wouldnt expect a dentist to do a doctors work so why expect it the other way around?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  16. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

Sorry to hear this GBL. Hope you get better.
    onoski is spot on. I am a victim of the NHS cuts and low wages. I was made redundant last year at my hospital. I use to do the 1st line helpdesk. It was a rewarding job helping out the doctors and nurses and I wished I became a perm staff later on. But, we got screwed over by staff cuts in our dept and that affected the customers. We supported a few hospitals, two of those hospitals were big on staff members and always got flooded with calls in the morning. From what I heard from my colleagues now, there use to be ten people supporting the hospitals now, theres only going to three people supporting those hospitals and maybe one person at the end of this year :cry:
    And as for the managers, we had three managers of the course of my one and half year stay. The first manager we had was awesome and knew had to do a job and always helped us out when needed. but the other two that took his place were Tw@ts. they never what they were doing and just sat on there PC's doing nothing and drinking very bad coffee :rolleyes: and its true what they say about the managers wages, its a big joke and the money they spend on these managers can go towards supporting the hospital a bit better.

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  17. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Or, alternatively, you could be thankful for the fact that we have free healthcare in the first place. Otherwise you'd have paid five hundred quid to be told pretty much the exact same thing (albeit in a nicer way, by a good-looking doctor, in a cleaner room, whilst she gave you a plaster)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  18. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Listen to the wise man :D

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  19. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Agreed! We have a pretty decent system in the UK (better than the US as far as I can see). We have free NHS for everyone - albeit with a lower standard of service and much longer waiting times. Then we have private healthcare for those who can afford it - which provides a better standard and quicker turnaround.

Count your blessings mate. That dental appointment will cost you 20% of the true cost of any work. If you went private you would have to pay the full whack. Sure, there's less choice of the quality of materials required, but at the end of the day you will be paying a fraction of what you could be.

I sliced my hand open whilst cleaning a glass a while back, and sat in A&E for 6 hours before I was fully treated. I had an initial criticality review within 30 minutes (which is alright, considering I walked in on my on power), a brief patching, then a looooong wait to see the Dr. Sure it was boring as hell, sure it took a long time, but it cost me nothing, and they did a bang up job (even if they did insist on reopening the (clotted) wound after 6 hours to clean it out, and no local).

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  20. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

Get well soon, greenbrucelee.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science