Why choose atheism?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by fortch, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well said AJ.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  2. Stevie

Stevie Byte Poster

Personally, I'm an Atheist.

When I was a kid, one of my aunties used to FORCE me to goto church with her before I could ride on her horses. Now, she is a very weak person who only believe in 'God@ because she can't cope without it, knowing that the world is a big bad place. I'm not saying all people that believe in religion are weak, it's just my experience of it.

Also, the science has 'found' that most of the bible is wrong, like how God created the world in 7 days. On the 6th day he created light? Surely if he was that cleaver he would have switched on the light to see what he was doing first? Sorry, couldn't resist the humour!

Also, every religion has a different God or Gods, and which was the world was created, and animals were created, so which one is right? Personally, I choose to believe science. However, if someone believes in a religion, providing they don't try and force it on me, I haven't got a problem with them.

A few years ago, I had some Jehovers Witness's knock on my door, told them I wasn't interested and started to shut the door, and one of the guys decided he should put his foot in my doorway to stop me closing it. I decided he was tresspassing and trrying to force his religion on me, so I opened my door and slammed it onto his foot. A few hours later the Police knocked on my door asking why someone had a broken foot, I explained what happened and thankfully the charges were dropped. Maybe not the smartest idea I've had, but they haven't knocked since :)

WIP: A+, Network+, Security+
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

The scientist try to prove many things. Such as how was the world created etc, and never proved anything. Theories and assumptions but no facts.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Thanks. I appreciate that. Some of the strongest people I know are people of faith. I know a woman who's been diagnosed with cancer eight times. She goes into remission and it comes back. She goes into remission and it comes back. She has a tremendous strength and peace about her throughout the whole emotional and physical rollercoaster ride. I can't imagine her doing that without her faith in G-d...and neither can she.

At least we don't have to pay His light bill (humor, too). :wink:

I try to tell people that Genesis isn't a cookbook on how to make a universe. Also, while the word "Yom" in Hebrew is commonly translated as "Day" in English, it can also mean a very long but indeterminate period of time so six days might not necessarily be six 24 hour periods.

I won't go into the Christian and Jewish interpretations of the depiction of Creation but no one believes we can figure out exactly how the Almighty created the universe and everything in it by reading Genesis. Personally, I think most of the information was left out because we really can't use it and also, we probably wouldn't understand it.

He shouldn't have tried to stop you from closing the door. That was wrong. While I don't believe breaking his foot was the correct response, once you said that you weren't interested, he should have moved on.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What he said. :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. shambles

shambles Guest

No names were named, but I know who was meant. I'll withdraw from this thread. Love and Light, everyone...

7. Stevie

Stevie Byte Poster

I didn't mean to break his foot, I was having a bad day at work, which was 13 hours long and everything went belly up, I was tired and cranky. I don't believe in violence, and I always treat people the way I want to be treated (apart from that guy, obviously), and I truely felt bad when the police man said his foot was broken.

WIP: A+, Network+, Security+