who can you trust and how far can a wind up really go?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by noelg24, Sep 16, 2007.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

At the end of the day Noel, how do you feel about the whole situation, they have made you look a fool and if you dont do anything then im sure they will do it again to some other person, or maybe even target you again.

What would your work place make of it, would they take it seriiously, or would they try and sugar coat the whole situation.

If you decide you cant work there anymore you could try the stress route and sickness due to this situation, though personally i wouldnt recommend it.

I think you need to sit down and suss out your options, if you like working there, then you need to get it sorted. Its going to nibble at you and cause you undue stress which will mak you slip up at work, so the sooner its dealt with , the better for you.

If your thinking that you dont want to take it further as they may lose their job then you really need to get a grip, these prats have gone out of their way to make you look stupid and put a big dent in your confidence, which can be hard to get back, you will always have that at the back of your mind when meeting someone.

So in my opinion, drop them in the brown stuff, even go to the point of telling your employers everything no matter how embarrassing it is.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well tomorrow I shall be telling my manager either they go or I will go...lucky for me I have a new job lined up which I start in Oct...

Sorry Jonny but a) I wont just shake this off cos it has really bugged me now. b) they clearly dont know when to stop and think how badly it will affect someone and c) if they think they can get away with it they better think again...

ZX is right in that I was naive about the "girl" but from now on that will change...if I get a message from a number I dont know or a call from a withheld number I wont bother answering.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I cant agree with jonny, BTW i think some orm of action is needed, if you do nothing you will be seen as a soft touch, when jonny os on about your army of supporters, you will get a few genuine ones but also youll get the nosey back stabbing ones who will laugh at you behind your back.

Jonny, im not trying to have a gio at you , i hope i dont come across that way

ED

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hah, no worries.

This is a personal situation, and although we can all read Noel's post, I don't think any of us can truly appreciate what it feels like to be in his position.

So we can all give our opinions, and offer our support - fair play to Noel for sharing this with us. But only Noel can decide what action to take to make himself feel better.

I wish him all the best, but I just hope that he stays 'the good guy' in all this.

And Noel - 'who can you trust?' well - not many, but I think I speak for most people here who regard you as a mate and will give you their support.

Good luck!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Thank you...thank you everyone...i was in 2 minds about sharing this with you guys, but since I have gotten to know a few of you so well I thought it would be a good idea...and at least I have experienced it (as has Zeb) and we can offer support if anyone else ever has this happened to them and I hope to God they dont. But once again thank you all.

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If I thought you had posted it merely to get rep, I'd have not given it. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Armchair Pimp

Armchair Pimp Byte Poster

Beware of ultimatum's dude.. never a good idea..

Quite simply.. they have created a case for their own dismissal and are probably relying on your own embarrassment not to report anything.. Personally I'd have a good think about how to approach it with your manager.. sure you were very naive about things and you've got to take that on the chin as I'm sure you'll get ribbed about it (give it time and you'll look back and maybe not be bugged by it so much).. but as long as you remain as dignified as possible in your handling of it you'll come out on top.. oh.. and I wouldn't bother with revenge.. it has a habit of backfiring.. they'll get their comeuppance... life's got a habit of doing that..

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL Found+Pract, A+
    WIP: MCSA, MCTS, MCITP
  8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I agree with Jonny. If you take matters into your own hands, it will backfire, making you out to be the bad guy (and, depending on the route you take, may leave you with a criminal record and hell, even jailtime).

I would point out that Jonny isnt saying do nothing. He is just merely pointing out that taking the law into your own hands will lead to trouble. What you need to do is rise above the pettiness and deal with it in more appropriate channels.

These include, but are not limited to, a workplace grievance, a claim of sexual harrassment, a claim of blackmail and threats (especially if you have the texts as proof). You can either take it to you manager or the police (although depending on the circumstances, your manager may be unable to do anything if its been out of work time, and not using work resources).

If you give them an ultimatum like that, expect to be waved out the door. Even if they wanted to, its unlikely they would just fire them. There are so many procedures and policies an employer has to go through before they can sack someone (and even then, its likely someone forgot to cross a t - leading to a successful unfair dismissal case against the employer). For a start, the employers are not allowed to go into a disciplinary with the intention of sacking the individual. That alone can lead to unfair dismissal cases.

Besides, regardless of the situation, employers dont like being told what to do.

Gotta reiterate that it was a stupid thing to do really. If you are going to do something like that, then you do so with the knowledge that it could all backfire in precisely this fashion.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Sorry revenge isn't the way to go. I just cannot believe some of you are actually considering that Noel should do it.

Just get it down in writing and give it to your manager then let him have the headache of sorting it out.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

What you should do noel, is have a quiet word with these guys. Tell them that while you also like a good prank it wasn't appreciated that the whole thing went on so long and got taken so far.

Then you let them that you know who they are and that they can maybe expect a payback one day (even though you know you will do nothing). I emphasize maybe because what you are trying to do is get them worried and looking over their shoulder all the time. It might make them think twice before doing something like this again.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

What if those pranksters don't listen to reason?? From what Noel said they are acting like children. Do you really think they will listen or take it onboard that Noel is a push over?

Noel - you need to step back from this and look at all the advice given here, review all the options before taking action.

There's something you haven't taken into account Nugget and that is, this probably isn't the first time this happened to employee of this company. I bet if Noel asked around he would find there have been a lot of people who have been the butt of their Jokes. Maybe they’re still there maybe they have left, because they couldn't hack it!

Noel's got to work out if he wants to keep the job or go somewhere else.

If he keeps the job then, he needs to know what procedure to take and make sure to gather evidence if he is going through HR and know who to trust or keep quiet and talk about it outside of work!

I agree with Modey go see CAB find out where you stand on the legal side of things, contact the police start a file. Get the evidence against them hopefully this will be enough for the company to fire them. Because company cannot have a professional image with bullies/prankster working for them. It would be interesting to find out if they sent those emails in work time or on their lunch break? 8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  12. Colin1

Colin1 Byte Poster

Morning guys, noelg - I could not believe what i was reading this morning mate, what total a**holes those lads are. I am a firm advacater of what goes around comes around though I really am and those parasites should be ashamed of themselves. A joke is a joke but that is going way to far :x i would really consider police action though fella as this sort of thing is getting worse. I hope your not to distressed, so cheer up mate coz bad things happen in life, and things are sent to test us so please dont rise to the bait, and lower your self to their obvious sub human level. If you need to talk about it then we are all ears bro!!

Take it easy mate :biggrin

Certifications: Cisco IT Essentials,
    WIP: IT degree, CIW (Web), A+, N+
  13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Again thank you all guys. I have spoken to my manager this morning and he was not happy about it. He says one of the lads will definitely be getting the sack, another called in sick (surprise surprise!!) and the other one left on friday. The one who will be getting the sack is away on a course this week. Isnt it strange how all 3 of them are not in at work? But my manager will be having a word with the guy who called in sick.

So you all dont have to worry cos I wont be taking revenge as I have experienced first hand that when that happens it can backfire.

But it makes me laugh how one decides to call in sick. Clearly that tells me he was in on it and didnt think it would lead to this. Incidentally the guy who left on friday got a phone call from a guy at work who told me he knew they were doing the wind up...he said to me he didnt get a call back from him...so that also confirmed he was guilty.

So there you have it...once again I want to thank everyone (except Fluid!!) for their kind words and help and support. :biggrin

14. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Wow, that's excellent news Noel:biggrin

Glad the b@stards got what they deserved8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  15. Colin1

Colin1 Byte Poster

Great news that matey, I hope you can put it all behind you and get on with life now, because you sound like a really nice fella. Keep smilin bro!!

C :p

Certifications: Cisco IT Essentials,
    WIP: IT degree, CIW (Web), A+, N+
  16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That is AWESOME, dude! Major congrats!

I'd have a real problem working with people who would do something like that to me... if that had happened to me, either they'd have to be dealt with (severely reprimanded or fired), or I'd have to find other employment.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Glad your manager is supportive. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+